What's new

Basic CV Joint for Alibre in simulation search

RCH_Projects

Alibre Super User
I need to use a CV type Joint in a Dynamics Simulation.

There are plenty of fanciful full blown STEP files but I need to avoid the overhead and pitfalls of overblown "converted" files for a rudimentary simulation.

Does anyone have something basic they can share or instructions to properly "replicate the function/constraints" in a native Alibre format and/or Dynamics?

RCH_Projects

Alibre Super User
I can best use a larger angle (45+) but anything less down to 20 degrees will suffice.
That sounds like a Rzeppa joint.
I'm looking for a valid constraint set with CV characteristics, without bogging down in a big study CV-Joints right now.

I found out PDQ a universal-joint is a worst case joint and a fail (notching and fluctuating velocity).

Wikipedia says a CV-Joint will "allow a drive shaft to transmit power through a variable angle, at constant rotational speed, without an appreciable increase in friction or play."
I will use have a "fixed" angle is all.

I can work out a generic mechanical principles but I don't know what simulation errors I might cause from first time ignorance.
If I can evaluate a valid representation an actual engineer can select the best real world joint.

Trying to keep it simple. I hope that makes sense.

RCH_Projects

Alibre Super User
Thank you - "dimensional and geometrical errors" is what I was afraid of. Engineering is like health care - lots of special topics!

I had a few downloaded from grabcad. I don't know what I might get into with imported step files in Alibre, input into Dynamics, so a big concern.
Fine for some "illustrated" models.

I have crashed Dynamics models so many times I must have set a record by now.
But I am getting sophisticated skills and results after what - three years?

Your first paper link clarifies what issue may come up :!: -

Abstract

In this paper the influences of some relevant dimensional and geometrical errors on both the kinematic performance and the dynamic performance of an automotive Rzeppa ball joint were investigated. The study focused on the development of a dedicated and improved multi-body three-dimensional model of the joint and the corresponding numerical simulations of different configurations. The model is able to manage the presence of the redundant constraints which are present in the joint architecture because of the use of spring connections between parts which replace most of the kinematic constraints or geometrical contact conditions. Three types of error were investigated, and both kinematic irregularities and dynamic irregularities are reported in graphs and discussed. The effects of different articulation angles between the inner ring and the outer ring were also investigated.

That cuts straight to the primary concern of what could go wrong, if anything.

I'm sure your links will cut down the study time and fumbles - which seemed inevitable but at a bad time.

Deeply grateful :), already glassy eyed :wink: