What's new

Been away for awhile and needing to upgrade...

neilr

I've been out of the loop for some time and currently still using an old version (Alibre 2012) was thinking about upgrading but not sure what the current cost is and since it has been so long I most likely will have to buy a new version. Anyone tell me what the price tag for a new license is?

Neil,

I am "out of touch" with current pricing. (1) E-mail support at geomagic.support.americas@3dsystems.com and ask for their intervention.

(2) The things that have gone on are: (A) Improvements to the BOOLEAN Operators; (B) Addition of the Global Parameters system )\(that really should be called Project Variables); and (C) and addition of Andy Ayre's WizoScript programming interface. If you use FEMsdesigner and change to the 64-bit system, you will need to update it. Other than these (not that "these" are nothing), there has been little change for the better.

JST

Alibre Super User
Cannot answer as to the "worth" of an upgrade.

But, I find that there are a number of things that are better in the current version, some important bug fixes, and other things. When using 2012 some time ago, I was looking for stuff that 2015 had and 2012 did not. I'd have to go and give 2012 a good workout to be able to list them, but I'd estimate a half dozen things that I like a lot better about 2015.

Current version is 64 bit and needs Win7 or better.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
I can't rememeber what was and what wasn't in that version but there things that I use these days that I wouldn't want to be without: direct editing (a lot!), assembly features, 3D printing check and Keyshot live linking. I don't think they are in 2012 but I could be wrong.

Is the upgrade worth it? Only you could know. It is for me.

MikeHenry

Alibre Super User
You might save quite a bit by calling GM and asking what kind of deal they can offer if you upgrade now, as opposed to accepting whatever their standard upgrade fee is.

TomB

I am in about the same position that Neil is in. I use GM a lot but I'm still on "Expert 2013", which is Version 15,0,0,15072 / 64-bit. I use the product a good many days per year, generally in bursts. I stopped upgrading when they cancelled the forum. Several years latter (last week) I came across a hot link to this version of the forum and started following it again. But that said I also don't understand what has been added. I know what Global variables are but don't see a big need for them. I read
bigseb said:
I wouldn't want to be without: direct editing (a lot!), assembly features, 3D printing check and Keyshot live linking.
but I don't know what any of these features do or why I would need them.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
TomB said:
I stopped upgrading when they cancelled the forum. Several years latter (last week) I came across a hot link to this version of the forum and started following it again.
The forum was never cancelled.
TomB said:
I know what Global variables are but don't see a big need for them.
Forgot about GPs. They are also very handy.
bigseb said:
I wouldn't want to be without: direct editing (a lot!), assembly features, 3D printing check and Keyshot live linking.
Direct editing: Push/pull faces, delete faces, move feature, remove lumps.
Assembly features: creating holes and cuts through multiple parts in an assembly
3D printing check: GD's built-in 3D printing part check and set up function
Keyshot live linking: send parts/assemblies directly to Keyshot from GD allowing the user to A-B between the two while keeping material links.

TomB

Thank you for the useful explanations. As for the forum being shut down here is what I remember, but also note I'm an old man that forgets a lot. I use a list of 'daily links' one of which was to this forum. The link I was using went to the base GM web page and there was on it a link to the forum. That link disappeared at the same time that there had been some notes about support changes. I took that to mean the forum had been cancelled.

neilr

Hi Nate still heavily active on the forums? Hope life is treating you well.

Mike yeah I might have to call since they don't publish anything about pricing on the web site that I could find. Hate it when they do that usually means unfair regonal pricing and or high commission sales guys....

Maxx? You still around here?

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Sadly Max has even left 3D Systems. According to his Linked In profile he's been at Switchfly, Inc. since Feb, 2015 after moving thru a couple of positions at 3D Systems.

MikeHenry

Alibre Super User
Max said:
I'm not as far away as you might think. :D

If you are still with GeoMagic Design, can you share any info on when an update might be forthcoming and on what it might include?

kev h

Hi Max

Would be crackin to get you back on here but i guess something pretty drastic would have to happen .... 8)

Cheers Kev