What's new

Beginner Question - How to change axis of part

JayKyle

Beginner Question - How to change axis of part

Can someone help me with this?

I would like to flip the axis of a part I have drawn, i.e. I've drawn a part showing it standing up, but I would rather have it laying down. I'm not talking about hand orienting it with the rotate tool, but being able to change the axis about which I've drawn it.

Thanks

JK

AA5

:idea: From the feature pull down menu, select Scale.. Enter a value of -1 for the X, Y, or Z factor and the part will mirror itself along that axis. Hope that helps.

jhatfield

Hi JayKyle,

Not sure if this will work for you, but I've had need to re-orient parts so I could pull dimensions properly in the drawing workspace. What I've done is to pull the part into the assembly workspace, create an axis through the part and constrain the axis along the X,Y, or Z axis so it's oriented as needed. Another way would be to create a plane through your part and then constrain it to mate with the XY, ZX, or whatever plane.

Hope that helps,

rbrian

Axis orientation vs part complexity

If your part is just a simple 1-sketch item - you could also edit the sketch - (copy it) - delete the feature and existing sketch, and open the prefered plane - and paste it there - using move in the sketch menu if required to re-position it!

If it is more complex - well then the other thoughts may be more practical! Robert