What's new

Beginner

blhtey

Beginner

Hi,

I am trying to draw a 3-D I beam, consisting of 3 plates. First of all, I tried to draw each plate on 2D. Somehow I do not know how to connect these 3 parts together and therefore I am unable to extrude the I beam to a 3 D drawing. Can anyone help?

Thank you

A

Anonymous

Read and follow all of the tutorials. You will be on your way within a matter of a couple of hours.

barrykingwill

Sketch the beam section in a single sketch (not as 3 plates) (with or without the radiuses) and extrude it as a single feature.

You can also download stadard structural sections if your have the Part Library Add-On, but it is never-the-less a good idea to first create them yourself.

rbrian

Re: Beginner

blhtey said:
Hi,
I am trying to draw a 3-D I beam, consisting of 3 plates. First of all, I tried to draw each plate on 2D. Somehow I do not know how to connect these 3 parts together and therefore I am unable to extrude the I beam to a 3 D drawing. Can anyone help? Thank you

Hi! - Let's see - 3 Plates... Sounds like three separate extrude issues, either in one part - or in three parts - and joined in an assembly - with or without a boolean operation.

First idea - in a single part file - as three separate plates, in 3 sketches - extruded separately. (If you don't need easy indepentent control of each plate - you could just make the sketch in the overall shape of the I-Beam, that is of cource the easiest - but least controllable.)

Start out - set grid to .25" and snap to grid.

• 1-Starting with the Default XY-Plane selected - I will sketch a simple 2-point rectangle .25" X 4". Then I will extrude (Boss) that - 12".
    2-Next, I will do a project to skech from the existing end of the boss, and choose 'create sketch figure'
    3-In Sketch Menu, choose move - and select all 4 lines in the rectangle - move them down ~4-6" below the first extrude.
    4-Dimension and Extrude this sketch - the same 12" with Extrude Boss. (you may need to select Reverse, so both extrusions are in the same space - not end to end.)
    5-For a little practice - select the end of one extrusion - away fromthe XY-Plane, right click - and select - insert plane from the menu. Plane Offset Distance should remain at .000".
    6-Select this new plane - enter sketch mode, Place a 2-corner Rectangle - centered between the first two extrudes, ~ .5" X 4-6" to match the center web of the I-Beam. extrude Boss on this also the same 12" - and direction as above.
Looks like this at the end -
3-plate_I-Beam_253x212.jpg

To see a larger image - Click Here, or to see the file I used - Click: 3-Plate_I-Beam_file.AD_PRT, Select Save, Then open in in AD!

Hope this helps! Robert