What's new

Benchmarking Models in both Alibre Design and SolidWorks

gregmilliken

Benchmarking Models in both Alibre Design and SolidWorks

All,

We are doing some performance benchmarking with Alibre Design and other systems on the market and I am looking for models of varying degrees of complexity in both Alibre Design and SolidWorks.

For valid performance comparisons they must be fully modeled in both systems with all parameters and constraints intact rather than modeled in one and imported as a STEP file into the other.

Do any of you have any such models that you originally created in one system and then for whatever reason had to model again in the other?

Thanks in advance for any help or feedback, and especially for any models if you have them. We'll treat them confidentially.

Regards,
Greg Milliken
CEO
Alibre, Inc.

Auspex

I have a spur gear parametrically modelled the same way in Pro Engineer, Solidworks and Alibre if you want it.

It's a good one to benchmark with. Regenerate it with a lot of teeth and it will really bogs down a pc.

Gaspar

Alibre Super User

Hi all,

I just uploaded a pdf file to the binaries section that refers to a "measurable" performance test done among the main CAD systems (Alibre should have been included, I guess they're not up to date in what's going on in the CAD world :wink: )

I haven't found time to do the test in Alibre, but the computers they used are very similar to what most of us in the forum have.

Please take a look. Lets see if a few of us can perform that test and then compare results among us and among the reported results for the CAD systems included in the test.

Any opinions? Do you think this could be useful Greg?

gregmilliken

Responses to posts

My Responses:

Swertel,

Solid Edge is one we'd like to compare to as well, we just run into SolidWorks so much more that we wanted to focus on that too. The next most freuqent competitor we run into is Inventor. Solid Edge is a distant also ran, but still worth looking at. If you have some Solid Edge models I certainly like to check them out.

-Greg

------------------------------------

Auspex:

Hey thanks for the offer of the spur gear in the other systems.

I would very much like to get it for our testing. Can you email it to gregm@alibre.com? If it is too large to mail let me know and I will give you an ftp account to which you can upload it.

Thanks,
Greg

------------------------------------
Gaspar,

Thanks I will check out the benchmark. Thanks for providing it.

-Greg

swertel

Alibre Super User

What is the deadline for submitting models?

By the way, this doesn't have anything to do with the latest PTC comparison for the 10 ways Pro/E is faster than Solidworks, does it?

gregmilliken

Model submission deadline

For the purposes of this effort ideally we would want models within the next few weeks if at all possible, and since I wasn't really expecting anyone to create new models specifically for this effort, I was hoping we could gain access to some that were already completed. The sooner we get them the more likely they will be used to help us to focus our performance tuning efforts for our next release.

However, I don't want this timeframe to discourage ongoing collection of sample models for this purpose since we will always be building our test suite.

Our effort is unrelated to the PTC-SolidWorks comparison specifically, but the idea that other vendors are comparing themselves is good as it provides us more insight into how we can improve Alibre Design relative to other systems using their standards for comparison.

-Greg