What's new

Bend radius

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
That is just the "default" setting. (You get that courtesy of programmers who know nothing about sheet metal.) You can set it to what your design requires. I always reset mine to equal material thickness. In some cases it will be larger.

Forming radii close to zero are done by coining rather than bending. The Sheetmetal module is set-up for (semi-traditional) sheetmetal operations.

JST

Alibre Super User
Yes.

Even if you use a sharp "punch" in the bending operation, the metal will not just form tightly around it. The metal will spring to an arc, and then deform (bend) where it has to.

The "punch" is used to force the metal down between two edges of a "v" shaped bottom die. There is no force to make the metal lie close against the die unless the "punch" is allowed to go all the way down until it bottoms out with the metal tightly held between the die and the punch. THAT will flatten the metal out nearly flat against the die, especially if the pressure is enough to deform the metal (like planishing). It will still spring back a bit.

Sheet metal folks do not normally like to do that, because metal thickness varies, and a tiny difference in metal thickness makes a big difference in pressure between the die and punch. Also, that operation, as you can guess, affects the metal differently from a regular bend

So, for both reasons, it is a bit of a special case, and the regular sheet metal bend behavior does not really include it. I think it SHOULD be included as a special case, but I don't generally use sheet metal enough these days to worry about it.