What's new

Benefits of Alibre

AngiePeters

Benefits of Alibre

Hi Everyone,

I am looking to see how Alibre is better than other 3D CAD packages, based on it's features. What can Alibre do that other 3D CAD packages can't, or what can it do better?

-Angie

dgstoll

benefits of Alibre

I'm a new Alibre user without much experience with other 3d modeling programs (19 yrs in Versacad, Acad, Microstation 2d stuff) but I find Alibre easy to use, it does what I need and the cost is far better. The 2d part of Alibre is fair but I create a 2d file save as dwg and detail in acad because our drafting dept. still wants to do it their way...

A

Anonymous

Price.

That's about it, unless you compare it 2D CAD packages and then it does just about everything better.

MilesH

Alibre Super User

If you don't need parametrics then there are lots of programs to choose from. If you do then Alibre is pretty well the only affordable option.

wfpelletier

Re: Benefits of Alibre

AngiePeters said:
Hi Everyone,

I am looking to see how Alibre is better than other 3D CAD packages, based on it's features. What can Alibre do that other 3D CAD packages can't, or what can it do better?

-Angie

Welcome to the forum, Angie.

This is a difficult question for many of us to answer, as many of us may have only used Alibre and one or two other 3D CAD packages. The only other parametric 3D package that I have used besides Alibre is SolidWorks. If you are interested in a very in-depth comparison between Alibre and SolidWorks, I suggest you check out this thread:

http://www.alibre.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2377

There are a lot of both pro and con comparisons between the two softwares in this thread that you should find both informative and interesting, which many of us on this forum contributed to.

wfpelletier

jwknecht

Alibre Super User

Here are what I think are the benefits of Alibre:

It does most of what designers need (for most companies... but not all).

The license agreement allows multiple computers to have it loaded. You don't need to worry about network licensing, etc.

It is "light." Try loading I-Deas, UG, CATIA, on a normal notebook computer.

It is inexpensive.

It works. It is easy to use. It is easy to learn how to use.

The add ons that are included with Pro are just awesome (Photorender, Design Check, Part Library, Model Press Publisher). Not to mention Sheet Metal and the Repository (not add ons... but only included in the core with Pro and Expert).

Did I say that it "works."

The support and personal touch from the Alibre staff.

This Forum.

The available Certified Alibre Consultants (patting myself on the back).

Xpress is free.

And what was said before... it is your only cost effective option for 3D CAD unless you have a payback for spending more on another package (sometimes you have to use what your customer demands).

Alibre is growing. It continues to improve.

Did I mention the Alibre Consultants? :roll:

The repository and the team design options... sharing work over the internet is easy (but sometimes a little slow).

demarchi

Hi,
I used to work with I-Deas for large project and assemblies in a company.
This is my personal point of view:

Price: Alibre is much cheaper

Drawing Features: It can do 99% (or more) of the things you can do with a much higher end 3D modeler. Sometimes it can do it better. Usually it can do almost the same vay. Sometimes you have to find another way.

Speed: When you go to very large assies is get slower.

Management: I-Deas has a really powerful project management system, that can handle big projects, over large network (but it is really rigid). You pay also for this feature. For single users the Alibre local repository is a rather good option, even if not as good (but it is more flexible...).

Data exchange: Alibre natively import/export iges/stp/acis files. That's a big plus. Moreover the Xpress (free) version is a great way to pass models to others, who can use them, and even modify them.

Surface: "advanced surface" is missing. You still have loft, sweep and so on, wich are pretty good. If you need more surfacing options there is interoperability (and associativity) with Rhino3D. Higher end 3D Modelers have it but still the module requires more money.

So, bottom line:
With much less money you can have a fully featured, fast growing 3D modeler, wich is at the moment the cheapest solution. Nonetheless the 3D features are almost at the same level of higher level products.
I bought the Alibre license so I decided it was the best solution for me. I am still convinced of that.

steved

Benifits of Alibre

Hi Angie

I would have to endorse all that the above has said about Alibre, in my own case I had worked with Meglodesk products for many years and in recent years keen to get into Solid Modelling but unable to squeeze five grand out of my employer.

And then I discovered Alibre I purchased the expert version which was on a special offer at the time for around $700 (that was less than I paid for ACAD TL 2004 £500) and have not looked back.

I have not designed anything in 2D since installing Alibre around twenty months ago and my overall satisfaction with the program is high, I am experiencing some difficulties at the moment producing drawing of large assemblies, but I believe Alibre are currently working on this problem.

Go ahead take the plunge.

Cheers

Steve

scarr

Re: Benefits of Alibre

I just have to weigh in in this one.

1. Price - 1/5 to 1/3 the price of any comparable 3D parametric modeling application on the market today.

2. Features - depending on which package you purchase, the features include Sheet Metal (which greatly influences the price differential mentioned above), Photo Render, Algor FEA, etc., The repository, a functional PDM system that will serve most small to medium size companies. 3D driven 2D drafting, file conversion capabilities. You usually pay extra for each of the mentioned features with other CAD packages.

3. Ease of use, and availability of training materials, and extended support after purchase.

4. A community of consultants who are more than willing to provide advice and assistance when called upon or not :D .

5. Alibre, the company, made up of a fantastic group of concerned individuals, who listen to their customer base, and give back to the society at large in many different ways, including educational programs, and initiatives such as the Open Prosthetics Program.

6. Ongoing, constant product improvement, based in large part on user feedback.

7. Alibre Xpress - something no other CAD supplier offers. Although the Xpress version is not as robust as the lowest priced package of Alibre Design, it is powerful enough to drive some very complex designs and assemblies.

From my standpoint Alibre is unique both as a company, and as an application. I've used the higher priced spreads, and there are very few things you can do with them that can't be accomplished with Alibre, I haven't found any myself, but I'm not everyone, and I don't work in every design field. If you're looking for a full featured, 3D parametric CAD application, for a fantastic price, and the best user community (international and multi-disciplined) around, you can't do any better than Alibre. And that's the truth.

AngiePeters

Okay, aside from price, here are the things we would like to see in a 3d package:
Subassemblies in a library
Revision Control
File Management
Secured access control
Sketch based modelling
Ablility to convert to and from .dwg
open "ports" for future plm or other vaulting system
VB compatibility
Library capabilities (to create our own)
design tables
create cross sections from models.

Is there anything there that Alibre doesn't do? There are others, but I think you have answered my questions on those.

Thanks everyone for answering my questions, I really appreciate the help.
- Angie

warburton1

Subassemblies in a library

Yes, using the repositroy as a library

Revision Control

Yes and No, the system in the repository is version controlled, but not revision controlled. I work around this using directories for each revision and copying affected files to the new directory

File Management

Yes, the repository is a very useful tool in this regard for a single user, however, if you need multi-user access Alibre offer a networked version for multi-user installations.

Secured access control

Again the repository can be used to control security of access to content.

Sketch based modelling

Yes, the core modelling system is based on the ACIS kernel with D-Cubed constraints management, these tools in part mode are predominantly driven by the sketch functionality.

Ablility to convert to and from .dwg

The program allows for both import and export of DWG and DXF in a variety of ACAD versions (R14, 2000, 2004 etc.)

open "ports" for future plm or other vaulting system

The repository is already available as a PLM vault style tool (although it could have some improvements made in this regard). It allows for the storage of all external file types not just Alibre and will maintain version control of those items as well.

VB compatibility

First brought in with V8 and expanded upon with V9, expect to see further improvements with each new version, especially with the rumoured move to .Net with V10.

Library capabilities (to create our own)

Can use the repository and the configurations tool to act as a library and library construction (I have some of my stranger standard parts as Configuration items within the repository).

design tables

Do you mean multi configurations or tabulated designs, either way it is posible, configurations allow you to create multiple versions of both parts and assemblies, additionally excel spreadsheets can be used to control parameters and finally the alteration of BOMs allows the creation of parameter linked tables for drawings.

create cross sections from models

3D and 2D cross sections are equally supported

Hope this answers your questions,

Regards

AngiePeters

Thanks so much, that is very helpful.
I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

And thanks to everyone else for the input. Helps me a lot.

Angie

CAD package comparison

I have used several CAD packages and would best agree with scarr's list dated June 22 2006 at 5:15 am. A lot of this comes down to how much money you have to get into 3D modeling and how complex your modeling is. We currently use Alibre as our CAD software, P&V for Configuration Management and Ansys for analysis. These are mainly driven by cost and functionality. I was using Algor but found in slightly cumbersome. Alibre’s market appears to be for companies with smaller projects that wish to get a good 3D modeler for a good price that can run on any PC and is extremely easy to use. Here as some of my findings with CAD software even though I am more of an analyst.

Catia – Air Framers
Unigraphics – Engine Manufacturers

Pro-E – Varies, very good parametric modeler with skeletons, good CM system with Intralink

Inventor – Very powerful as far as managing large assemblies.

I-DEAS – Space applications, good CM, very good integration to FEA, thermal and space analysis.

Response to CM Question

Peter,
Yes P&V (by trilogy Design) is our Configuration Management System. Basically it is a relatively database. Think about the whole process of getting something made. There are contracts, RFQ/PO, purchasing, manufacturing process sheets, kits, drawings, QA, etc. These need to be linked to keep everything in one place otherwise people have files all over the place :) Having a robust CM system allows you to use multiple other software systems that do other functions. For example: there are word documents, except spreadsheets, and in the case we are talking about we have IDEAS files or Alibre files or AutoCAD (from another group and customers) or Inventor (from another group). These files are PDFs of the drawings and STP files. We also use DWG and DXF files. We also use other programs for Electrical such as PADS, Electronics Workbench, etc.

Now using it with Alibre is another issue. We keep our drawings simple enough to be manufactured and then tie it together in P&V. Examples are that we can do searches in P&V and do a "where used" and we can see descriptions and details on the parts and tie them to engineering changes. We still have an Alibre database that we backup but we are not totally dependant on it if another package comes along. Everyone is pulling from the same database which brings in consistency. It is also all electronic so there are fewer mistakes and people can see all the info but not necessarily change it.

Many CAD software packages are incorporating a CM system which locks you to their system a little more. Think about ProE/Intralink and IDEAS and their CM system. In my opinion there are a few changes that Alibre can do to get more information on the repository to make in better and the data is already there.

Also, cost is an issue which allows a small company to use similar tools as a big company if they have simple, practical processes in place.

I hope this helps.

rbrian

Re:

AngiePeters said:
Thanks so much, that is very helpful.
I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

And thanks to everyone else for the input. Helps me a lot.

Angie
Angie - Just weighing in here - can't add much to the topics alread covered, just that the Tutorials I have posted on my web may be of some interest in your research too!
Also - check out the flash segments and the animations!
Robert