What's new

Better way of defining a curve?

JST said:
What IS Wizoscript?????
It is Andy Ayre's scripting/programming language he is developing for Geomagic. I will firmly attest that, though I have not had time to really run it through its paces, it may well be the most exciting development for Geomagic underway today!

Kudos to Andy!

Oldbelt

Alibre Super User
JST.
You have a hell of a lot points in your sketch.
Where do you get them from ???.
You also say its at parabola.If its a parabola, why not just calculate a bunch of points in exel and import the points to GM as a B-spline.
That precise for must technical purposes.
Thats the must direct way to input curves defined with a formula.
JST. Please answear, those simple questions, and keep your problem simpel.
I wonder what use you have of this simpel curve, with all those defining points,
You said something about raytracing, thats my expertise area, my businees is based on this, I can see your need.

ajayre

Alibre Super User
Oldbelt said:
You said something about raytracing, thats my expertise area, my businees is based on this, I can see your need.

I'm not a mechanical engineer, so please forgive me - what is the nexus between raytracing and mechanical CAD? I don't mean rendering an object but designing an object. Optics-based items perhaps?

Andy

JST

Alibre Super User
Yes, it's somewhat optical. Can't discuss the usage. Sorry.

I was presented with this curve, which I do not have a "provenance" for. I checked it to ensure a good enough focus.

It is supposed to be a parabola, somewhat modified. Not my business to derive the equation from it. And I had to change it to show it here, so don't take much from the exact shape

Oldbelt

Alibre Super User
Andy.
Optical "system" designed in Alibre two lenses a mirror and a target plate..
Used for raytracing :

Attachments

• Lens1-2(1).jpg
    Lens1-2(1).jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 12
  • Lens1-2-raytrace.jpg
    Lens1-2-raytrace.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 34

JST

Alibre Super User
So I did go through the large number of points and made it a b-spline.

However, that was probably a severe step backwards away from a good solution.

The problem is that the new surface of the extruded b-spline is not recognized as a surface by the constraint function.

Constraints work on edges of it, but nothing recognizes the actual surface *as* a surface, so nothing can apparently be aligned, mated, etc with or to it.

That seems to be a worse problem than what I already had. So, for those suggesting a spline, is there a way around that problem?

indesign

Alibre Super User
Add points,planes and axis to use as means for alignment on these types of surfaces. Since a spline can not have even a tangent constraint then you can define the constraining surfaces using the reference geometry.