What's new

BiDirectional Offset

There needs to be a box that says offset both directions, example making a slot I want to draw the centerline and then offset it equal parts in both directions.

It seems tedious that I have to re-open offset box to do this.

Or am I missing it?

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
That would be nice, but in the mean time to make a slot I use the Rectangle by Center sketch tool. I draw the rectangle the full size of the slot then after the rectangle is cut I apply a fillet at each corner to create the radiused ends of the slot.

Using Rectangle by Center gives you a center point for a location dimension if needed or just use the sketch figures. Be aware that you need to apply either a Vertical or Horizontal constraint to one of the rectangles figures to fully constrain it.

RectByCtr.png

ApplyFillets.png

SlotCompleted.png

bigseb

Alibre Super User
There needs to be a box that says offset both directions, example making a slot I want to draw the centerline and then offset it equal parts in both directions.

It seems tedious that I have to re-open offset box to do this.

Or am I missing it?
Try thin extrude cut.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
do you have a special one ?
i've tried some:
There is a dimensioning issue in the Part sketch. You need to be selective on the shape Anchor position to make sure it's set right for the placement of the shape. And then there are the patterns, the dimension will snap to the first shape in a pattern so you need to be careful on anchor point selection and direction of the pattern.

On the drawing there is no callout dimension for them so you need to add a Note or fully dimension like your example. And no Centers for Slots when you apply Centers in the View edit pop up. Slot Centers need to be placed manually and then only for the radiused slot ends. Also, you can't dimension to the center point of a slot. Sometimes that is useful for those who may use a manual fab to punch slots in sheet metal.

Not saying you can't or shouldn't use Shapes, just be aware of their peculiarities.

DimmingSlotShapes.png

Yes, you can use the Shape tools but they have some issues when dimensioning the drawing.

The other issue I have is that we don't often give the center point of a slot as a dimension, its not terrible useful. Usually we define slots with the center of one circle, the spacing, and the width. Its annoying to have cnc guys a set of prints different from the design thoughts.