What's new

big cone !

I am trying to design tank or silo a using commercial plates, I could draw the cylindrical mantle, using the "contour lofted flange” as sheet metal parts easily.
The problem arises to make the base of the tank , which is tapered. Using the "lofted Flange" I can draw it as a part without problems but naturally the cone is much larger than the plates. I can get the plates cut because I can export it to a Drawing , draw it as a flat pattern. And therefore divide it in order that fit Into the plates. I made another assembly using several plates and project into the cone in order to get the amount of plates needed.

I wonder if there is a way to do it in 3D using sheet metal parts so that the plates are reflected on the cone as the cylindrical mantle does. Any help would be grateful
Data
6.5 m diameter tank
plate used 3/8 "x size 6m 1.2m
thanks
Carlos

Attachments

• tank.stp
    372.4 KB · Views: 78
  • cone.AD_DRW
    319 KB · Views: 99

AndrewTing

Don't think its possible.

But let me guess what you're doing. You're trying to build a tank consisting a cone & a cylinder and you wish to flattern them in 1 piece and you'll use stock size sheet metal to fill them up to form the entire design?

If so, i think its easier to do it in 2 parts,
Draw the cylinder & cone separately.
Paste flattened Cylinder into drawing.
Paste flattened Cone into drawing.
Draw the stock sheet metal and copy them over the drawing.
overlay the amount needed to cover the area.

Guess the most important thing to consider instead is the butt joint welding if you're able to weld the pieces together, then do the rounding, or you're doing the rounding then the butt joint.

If you're doing the butt joint after the forming, then you can simply draw sheet metal parts according to the sheet to be cut then join them via assembly to estimate.

Thanks for the quick response,
In fact, these drawings are simplifications of the model that I doing now. This has several Assemblies and Sub assemblies and other components.
I was interested to represent the plates that make up the cone in order to show customers how it would look and the other to estimate the curvatures that would lead each sheet.
I n fact I know I can flattern the geometry to estimate the number of sheets used and the length of the welding but don’t know how it will look in the drawing and the bending of each plate used. Maybe with the new version 2011 I transforming a solid into sheet metal could help me to solve this “simple” issue.