What's new

Big time loss issue....... editing constraints not available from constraint menu

JST

Alibre Super User
This is really a big deal in my experience.

I make a LOT of subassemblies. And, I make them, and edit them quite a bit.

The fact that every stinking time I have to close the window, go mouse over and ask for the edit (which then brings up the same exact window) is a constant time drain. It's actually a fair number of clicks, and often long mouse movements.

After the edit, it seems to still work as prior to the edit, so why does it require a close-re-open sequence? Can that not be automated and/or eliminated?

If an edit button in the window opened a list of the last "X" constraints added to the current assembly, which would be available for editing, that would be great. Extra points for a selection to open the entire list if needed.

"Usually" what is wanted is one of the last 8 or 10 constraints added, so that is the reason for the 2-stage select.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Can you give an example for context of your complaint? I'm sure your complaint is valid for your workflow but your description isn't clear.
What are you editing in the subassemblies? What window are you closing?

JST

Alibre Super User
It seems perfectly clear to me. It's a matter of extra "monkey motion" that adds no value for the user.

Workflow? Not workflow............................."correction flow", or "adjustment flow". IOW, something needs changed, it's not a "planned workflow".

Maybe the constraint was not actually what you wanted. Maybe you screwed up. Maybe you need to edit the offset. Maybe the "reverse" should have been used and you thought it did not. Maybe it's one of the cases where "reverse" is available but does nothing. Maybe you realize that a different one will be better. Maybe you just change your mind on exactly what you want.

Any and all of those may be applicable as one does design work, where the details are not laid out, and you are the guy who needs to figure them out.

Very very simple issue...... to get to "edit constraint" when you are in the constraint window and no longer have the last constraint open, you have to EXIT the constraint window (click). THEN you have to select the constraint to edit, which is usually one of the last you have placed (mouse around to the design explorer, then click). That often requires scrolling the design explorer (work the scroll wheel). That selection then RE_OPENS the same %$#@! window that you just exited! Then you mouse back to the window that was re-opened.

Basically, you have to do a bunch of mousing around and clicking to get back to where you were to begin with.

It seems SO much more friendly to the user to let that all happen by hitting a button on the window that you already have open, which is the same window that the "monkey movements" will bring you back to.

OK, so maybe there needs to be a change of 'Focus", or "mode", and that is why the direct action is disallowed....... Well, computers are useful because they reduce the workload by doing things for you.... as in this case ought to be done. That's why programmers get the big bucks.... figuring out how to do things like that. Whatever happens when you exit and re-open can be done when you click the button.

The odd thing is that currently, after you edit a constraint, the constraint window acts just like it did before. It seems unchanged, not a special mode. So why do you have to exit it? Perhaps to punish those who make mistakes or change their minds?

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Very very simple issue...... to get to "edit constraint" when you are in the constraint window and no longer have the last constraint open, you have to EXIT the constraint window (click). THEN you have to select the constraint to edit, which is usually one of the last you have placed (mouse around to the design explorer, then click). That often requires scrolling the design explorer (work the scroll wheel). That selection then RE_OPENS the same %$#@! window that you just exited! Then you mouse back to the window that was re-opened.
This has fustrated me quite a bit, especially when you have a number of broken constraints (due to editing geometry they were relying on).
You can edit one, then accept it. You're left with an empty but still open constraint dialog which you have to close before selecting the next constraint to edit.
Would be nice once the dialog is empty to just click on the next constraint in the explorer to populate the edig dialog with its information and automatically put it in edit mode. No closing click, no RMB on the next constraint, no click on Edit.
Doesn't sound much, but when you change a part and 20+ fasterner constraints become 'broken', thats 60+ mouse clicks saved!

Reactions: JST

JST

Alibre Super User
Yeah, I forgot to mention the issue of correcting one after another. Must have blocked out a bad memory....