What's new

Bills of Material

Good morning, I am having problems with BOMs.
We, traditionally, list parts on parts lists/BOMs by type: Assemblies, Manufactured parts, Proprietary parts, then lastly fixings and fastenings. Our customers, MOD, Rail Networks etc seem to like this layout too.

When I create a BOM in AD, the item numbers are all over the place, so I go into the BOM and change the numbers to align with our system, then label the parts on the 2D assembly drawing. Meant to say, our BOM on the production dept manufacturing system is usually done in parallel with design on our assembly, so we need AD BOMs to tie up with the production BOM.

Is there a way to force the AD BOM to keep these item numbers as when I change or delete a part from the assembly model AD BOM re-numbers all the items again and leaves question marks in the item number balloons on the drawing.
Hope you all understand what I mean, I'm Scottish, so English is a second language :D

Thanks and regards,

BernardK

Alibre Super User
waltermcleod said:
Hope you all understand what I mean, I'm Scottish, so English is a second language :D

I will speak slowly!! :)

Are you aware that you can drag BOM entries up and down the list to get the order you want. Use the header column on the left to pick up the rows. Then select Data | Resequence. The item numbers then update to be in sequence and the list will be ordered. If the assembly is modified after this, the items should retain their numbers.

ps. I worked for a while with some guys at a Rolls-Royce facility in East Kilbride and it really was like going to a foreign country. We communicated mostly with sign language! :)