What's new

BOM for each sheet

CGN

Hi, is it possible to generate a BOM for each sheet created? for example having a main BOM that is shown in the main sheet that contains the full assembly of a machine and then in the sub-assemblies drawings and/or sheets for constructive drawings show the BOM that reflects ONLY the parts shown in the sheet.

Thanks

DM8761

im not sure of your question.

if you want your sub assemblies to only show as parts in your main assy, then you have to:
with your sub assy open, go to properties (alt+enter), and check "treat as part in BOM"

then make your main assy drawing, and then that sub assy will only show as one "part"

albie0803

Alibre Super User
So I just found out to my annoyance. I did up a small project of 12 different drawings as sheets in a single drawing file and then wanted to add BOMs for each sub assembly as well as a master BOM for a complete parts list and found that I can only have 1 BOM per file. Now not only can I not do what I wanted but I can't even copy individual pages out to new drawings, though thinking about it I could copy the drawing file and then delete all the pages I don't want. It's the long way round though. Man I hate finding things out this way! :evil:

I would warn you against copy the drawing file. In general I've learned the hard way the copying ANY file with Alibre leads to BadThings(tm) happening. You are pretty much always much better off performing a "Save As" operation multiple times from your original drawing and then deleting the sheets you no longer need.

If you ever copy a file the linkages Alibre keeps between files and models tend to get all messed up. Doing a saves as seems to generate new internal unique identifiers and keeps things coherent.

YMMV.
David

CGN

Thanks, guys, another feature to add for future releases, is really helpful to be able to have a BOM per sheet because it shows the parts involved on the drawing instead of naming each part, sorry didn't reply earlier, I have to change my settings because seem like i don't receive the updates from the forum, thanks for the help

Please, let us be clear here. The Bill Of Material process defined during the (surrender of sovereignty) 1994 NCGA conference wherein what was left of our standards were privatized is about as idiotic as the rest of that conference's actions!

The BOM approached adopted (read: rammed down our throats) is an architectural one that has no real ability or application when dealing with anything other than simplistic project or product management. We threw out six decades worth of industrial part & assembly management experience in pursuit of simplicity for the programmers. The old (1981 revision was the last of which I am aware) MIL-STD-1000 matrix parts list represented many decades (it started during WWI to manage military products & projects) of research & development. It was in use by virtually all major product manufacturing companies around the world -- and we threw it out to make life easier for the programmers.

This is one of the reasons that I harp on the inclusion of a spreadsheet system as a fundamental tool for CAD. Since Shawn Thornhill developed the foundations for modern spreadsheets in 1983 (yes, I remember VisiCalc and SuperCalc, but AsEzAs really set the stage for modern spreadsheets) I have been using them to manage matrix parts lists at the project level. It takes a bit of effort to set-up, but a spreadsheet-based matrix parts list has the advantage of tracking the use of parts, sub-assemblies, and assemblies through a product or project such that you can tell:

1) How many parts, sub-assemblies, or assemblies are used in any given sub-assembly, assembly, or installation.
2) How many total parts, sub-assemblies or assemblies are used for a given product or project.
3) How many parts use the same base raw material (i.e. AL 6061-T651 Bar 1.000 X 2.000) to simplify ordering of material.
Etc.

Throwing out these abilities will go down in CAD history as one of the great demonstrations of mismanagement when we finally overthrow the private control of the standards within which we work!

RCH_Projects

Alibre Super User
Don't blame the programmers. At best it is some of the mental midgets that hire or manage the programmers.

1), 2), 3), etc. is the direction I am taking. PM me some of your preferred spreadsheet layouts (no strings attached) and I'll kick them around for some form of inclusion in a basic(?) spreadsheet utility (open source).
At least I will see if VBA or whatever OO uses can tap into the information in a useful manner.
Can't hurt.