What's new

BOM trouble.

cclark440

Alibre Super User
I really have not used BOMs all that much in the past, and now that I am trying to use them more I am having nothing but grief.

First, it seems that BOMs are limited to one per drawing, not one per sheet. Is this correct?

Second, I have an assembly that has four different configurations in it, and I seem to be having trouble getting my drawing to pull in the correct BOM based on the views that I have in the drawing. It seems as though it always pulls in the wrong configuration BOM. Is there someway to force the BOM to associate with a specific configuration in the assembly? I got it to work once, but not anymore.

I have tried contacting support, but of course I need this done quick. I am a long time user that remembers back-in-the-day when you wanted a support chat there was always someone there. Needless to say support as of late is frustrating. I guess that is the price of progress and growth. :(

albie0803

Alibre Super User
To answer question 1, yes, there is only 1 BOM per drawing file, regardless of the number of sheets in it. Your other question I don't know about.

dmckee101

Alibre Super User
re: Configs and BOMs
I'm still running 2012 and tried a little experiment. It looks like it favors the last SAVED configuration.
Let's say WidgetAssy has Config<1>, Config<2>, & Config<3> in an assembly, and last time you saved it was saved, Config<1> was active.
Now if you start a drawing with WidgetAssy and you pick Config<3> as the configuration to display;
when the BOM is created it will look at the WidgetAssy (file evidently) and create the BOM. But the WidgetAssy file has Config<1> and not Config<3> like the drawing is using.

Work-around:
Other than saving the drawing with the config you want, you could manually edit the BOM, edit/hide/add lines.

Hope this helps.

EDIT:
Also if you want to delete the BOM; not only do you have to delete the BOM view in drawing, you have to delete the BOM file as well.

cclark440

Alibre Super User
Thanks for the responses guys.

I was afraid of the only one BOM per drawing.

I thought I tried the saving the assembly with the configuration that I wanted, but it didn't seem to work. I didn't think that it actually saved the BOM, because I never saved the drawing after inserting the BOM into it. I will look into that a little more.

Also, still no response from support.

Brawndo

In the Bill of Materials dialog that appears when inserting a BOM, you can select which Configuration of your Assembly you would like the BOM to correspond to.

If you are having issue inserting the desired BOM, be sure that you do not already have a BOM 'Linked' to the Drawing.

At the top of the Design Explorer, right below the Drawing Name but above the Sheets header, right-click the BOM (if one is present) and select 'Unlink'. Now, when you click on the BOM icon from the Ribbon Interface the BOM dialog will appear and you can select a different BOM Configuration to insert.

Hope that helps!

-Brian