What's new

BOM Units selection ability

WoodWorks

Alibre Super User
BOM Units selection ability

When Exporting a BOM, it would be useful to specify a unit display other than the default for the Drawing or model. Just the ability to change the units to another format (before the export) and then change them back; or leave them displaying in another format than the model.

When working with fractions, that format is often not compatible with other software when exported. Excel turns a fraction without a leading whole number into a date. Maybe a stopgap would be to add a zero to the front of the fraction. I manually have to do that now, and it would be easier to do a global replace on ",0 " to remove the zero than to add it. Compatibility with Excel should be a priority given the current support of an interface.

While other software supports use of fractions, their import filters can expect a different format such as a dash seperator between the whole number and fraction. It can just be better to export the data in a decimal format.

I do see a units selection from the BOM Tools Options menu, but the Format is grayed out. Also, when I do change the Units, it has no effect on the displayed parameters columns.