What's new

Books?

JST

Alibre Super User
There is a great need for an "Alibre for Dummies" book. I have said so for years, but I do not think anyone out there who might write or publish such a book takes Alibre seriously anymore.

The collapse under 3D Systems took care of that.

The "anti-help system"..... that's way too accurate as a description.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Book? Not really a good idea. With Alibre constantly updating a book would be out obselete pretty quickly. Even an E-book. Too much work for something evolving so rapidly. Rather just work on updating the help and keeping it updated.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
...anyone out there who might write or publish such a book...
Who would that "anyone" be? I've seen some of the SolidWorks for Dummies by Greg Jankowski books and it looks like he has been a SolidWorks guru for quite some time. I would image that the author of an Alibre Design for Dummies would likely be an Alibre guru.
...takes Alibre seriously anymore.
If seen some "...for Dummies" books on subjects/software that I've never heard of and seem pretty obscure but still I suppose there needs to be at least some indication of a need other than one or two questions posted in a forum.

Another option may be an Alibre Design Bible similar to the SolidWorks (insert year) Bible by Matt Lombard. He's been writing/updating that book for each release of SW since SW 2007 as far as I know.

JST

Alibre Super User
Yes, the author needs to be a top level user, not just some guy. So?

Book? Not really a good idea. With Alibre constantly updating a book would be out obselete pretty quickly. Even an E-book. Too much work for something evolving so rapidly. Rather just work on updating the help and keeping it updated.

You can say that for any software, and yet there are software books and have been for a long time. Autocad was evolving steadily, but there were books out on that way back at V12, updated every few versions.

It would have been a very very good idea some time ago. Now, it may not matter anymore.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
What happened to Ron Bowes' book?
The question is "What happened to Ron Bowes?" I don't think Ron is with Alibre, maybe he got lost in the 3DS shuffle. :confused: I did a quick forum search on his name and in every post that came up and had a link to either Ron's web site or book or a training video I found the links were 404 or web site for sale.

MilesH

Alibre Super User
Except posting the direct link doesn't work. Overlaid with an invitation to join..... If you do a Google search for "Ron Bowes Alibre LinkedIn", it should show as the first result.

Edit: Could be because it was my second visit to the page though....

H-L-Smith

This is an area where better training tools are needed. I see Alibre is trying to attract amateur machinists and woodworkers again, as they did in the past. However, many such folks will not be skilled in 3D modeling, and likely are moving from 2D CAD, if that. So, getting those folks on board requires some good tutorials relevant to their goals.

In truth, I haven't looked at the material available on the Internet, or the Alibre tutorial lessons from the training materials in awhile, but I remember feeling they weren't adequate when last I looked. Perhaps if some of the more skilled, existing users would be willing to upload projects for newbies to study, that would help. I'm not so much thinking of their paid, bread-and-butter work. Rather projects they did for contests or skill building purposes in the past.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Gonna rock the boat here a bit:

I get that the help section needs work. New users (mostly hobbyists?) need something to turn to. Problem I have with that is there there are advanced users that need other areas of the software updated or have new important features added. Focusing on a book is just going to bring development in those areas to a halt.

JST

Alibre Super User
Not at all.

You seem to think that Alibre needs to do that. NOPE. I would not want Alibre to even try. It would not end well.

Someone else should do it. In fact I do not think anyone at Alibre could do it.... They cannot understand how, because they are too close to it to see it as a user does.

No software company ever does one of those for that same reason. It takes a person who is firmly on the "user" side to do it. The company may help a bit, by supplying answers for questions about exactly how a command works as programmed. The company may even commission it, but should never write it.

I am pretty sure I have said all this before.

KeithH

Does anyone know if there are any books available for Alibre software?

hi. I wished there were books at the beginning, but no bs when I did my trials I went through every video on one monitor pausing and doing the same thing in the program. It took two weeks before I finished the videos (the ones that u see as tutorial vids) and then I felt I was ready to do the exercise manual (the pdf one). It was so easy to do the exercise when I did it, after watching all the videos (btw I had absolutely no cad experience before, like none.) I would encourage you to just take some time to try like I did: go through the videos and do it on your own to follow along. If you start at the boring ones at the begging and do it in the program, following along. And when u don’t understand something try again or post in the forum. Then when you “get it” go to the next video. U don’t have to have the same thing they have in the screen. They build on each other so that’s my experience. But as u go along you can whip something up in seconds to just go with what the next video teaches. (I’m the guy that hated fusion and couldn’t understand it”). I’m just letting you know what worked for me. Hope this helps bud

oh yeah Clint. I would also hit the help thing in the program a lot and it was pretreat good at bringing up the exact area I was on or I’d just type in the help search thing. All else failed? Well I posted and I got help pretty quick from people.

Last edited:

sz0k30

I have his "Intro to solid modeling using Alibre Design", Copyright 2010. Still a lot of good, relevant information for a beginner.