What's new

Boolean mirror?

aptivaboy

Hi all,

I did a Boolean subtract operation on a scale model that I'm designing. No problem there. However, I want to mirror that Boolean Subtract to the other side of the model. The Feature Mirror function won't do that, however. The design in question is a Star Trek starship hull so it's symmetrical port and starship. I just need the same feature to be on both sides, in this case the mounting slot for the warp engine pylons (the slot area Screenshot (563).png Screenshot (564).png Screenshot (563).png Screenshot (564).png is highlighted in light blue in the image). Any ideas on this?

Many thanks,

Bob

I did a Boolean subtract operation on a scale model that I'm designing. No problem there. However, I want to mirror that Boolean Subtract to the other side of the model. The Feature Mirror function won't do that, however. The design in question is a Star Trek starship hull so it's symmetrical port and starship. I just need the same feature to be on both sides, in this case the mounting slot for the warp engine pylons (the slot area View attachment 27800 View attachment 27801 View attachment 27800 View attachment 27801 is highlighted in light blue in the image). Any ideas on this?
Hi Bob -- BOOLEAN operations do not Mirror well. So, if you can "reduce" the section of the Model that needs to be Mirrored and perform your BOOLEAN Subtract on that "section," you can Export it as a STEP file. The STEP file when Imported should Mirror just fine. You can then BOOLEAN Add that Part back into your Design Model to create a fully "defined" Part. I mostly do this with geometry "provided" to me by clients that is hard to ?modify."

idslk

Alibre Super User
BOOLEAN operations do not Mirror well
upload_2019-6-24_22-48-30.png
not well?
I'm (i think as bob too)not able to add the Design Boolean<9> (nor the ball<1>) as a "Feature to mirror" into the requester...
It might be an option to make a mirrored "tool" and place this as the part to subtract in the boolean operation.

Regards
Stefan