What's new

Branding feedback to the Mothership

Status
Not open for further replies.

IonSteve

Folks--

My annual maintenance was due this week and I dutifully paid up. But not without some feedback to the gentleman from Sales whom I spoke with. We actually had a very long and positive talk about the Geomagic rebranding, during which I explained to him that the word Geomagic is a meeting killer and is costing me business (this is true). He asked me to send my comments to him in an email he could forward along to the decision makers. I did that, and I pasted my note below.

I want to emphasize, again, that the guy from Alibre/GM was quite understanding and he initiated the email move from me. He assured me that it will go upstairs and I believe him.

Do I think I can talk them off the ledge and back to sanity? Probably not. But I consider it time well spent to tell them the truth, that the emperor has no clothes, and that Geomagic is flat-out harmful as a brand name.

I do know that others here on the forum have done the same thing and have mentioned it before; my only goal here is to keep attention on the situation. I am not holding my breath on this, but for me it's just a small investment of electrons and key clicks that could maaaaaaaybe have a positive result.

Steve

Dear xxxxxx:

Thank you for taking the time to speak with me this afternoon. As we discussed, it would be very beneficial for those of us on the consumer side if you would pass this along to decision makers.

Dear Folks at 3DS/GeoMagic/Alibre:

Like many of your long-term consumers, I originally purchased Alibre (the full-boat Expert package) because it was excellent value for dollar. The software could do 95% of what I needed it to do and was affordable. That equation has held true for the 6 years I have been using the software, paying my annual maintenance each and every year.

However that situation is no longer true--the value equation has shifted overnight. At the stroke of a pen, you might say. The change is not in the software; indeed the software has steadily improved over time and in particular I've been pleased with progress in the last 18 months or so.

The single factor that has changed the entire value equation is the rebranding of Alibre as GeoMagic. Put very succinctly, the brand name GeoMagic is costing me business. For real.

As you probably know, during a new business meeting, it is very common to be asked what software package is being used. In fact it is becoming common to see this as a line item on quote forms. The "right" answer is Solid Works. That is what the customer wants to hear. Over the years I have been able to master the art of saying, "We use Alibre, which is a solid modeler similar to Solid Works but is a better value for me, and makes me a better value for you." I throw in some screen shots of Alibre and generally the meeting moves along.

GeoMagic is a total meeting stopper. Now when I answer the question "What software package are you using" and I reply "We use GeoMagic, which is similar to Solid Works . . ." etc. they aren't listening by the time I get to the end of the sentence. The meeting is effectively over. Every time.

Two stories illustrate this in a nutshell. During one meeting, upon hearing the word GeoMagic, one of the execs on the other side of the table said, and I directly quote, "Sounds like something you'd get at K Mart." That is a hole that I cannot dig out of.

Second meeting, which was a three way meeting between my company, a competitor and the contractor. After I answered the software package question with the Word of Death "GeoMagic," my competitor said, "Aww, that's cute. Is it made for kids?" Everyone in the room laughed their butts off. Meeting over.

Alibre saved me money. GeoMagic is costing me money. It is that simple. That is not a sustainable equation.

We just paid our annual maintenance, but we are giving ourselves the year to investigate other software packages. For example, at the moment we have downloaded the trial version of IronCAD. I would prefer to stick with Alibre/GM, but IronCAD does the job just was well. It does cost more, which is unfortunate, but GeoMagic is painting me into a corner.

If you've visited the Alibre forums you may be aware that this rebranding has been extremely unpopular, for many of the reasons I've given. My aim with this letter is to help you realize that the situation has transcended unpopularity and has moved into tangibly problematic.

As the marketing folks say, the paint isn't dry on this. The window is still open. I beg you to consider changing the name back to Alibre, or at least anything that I can use in a pitch meeting that isn't GeoMagic.

All the very best. Respectfully--

Steve

scotte

Steve,
Thank You. For what it's worth, I still call it Alibre to avoid some of the embarrassment.
Scott E

wildwood58

Well written , you nailed it exactly.
3DS Design would be a much more professional name
Very simple... Same name as the parent company

And not a "kiss of death" in meetings

wildwood58

After hitting submit on my post and going back to the forum
Board index, I looked at the 3DS Systems Geomagic logo
The first word that popped into my head?
DISNEYLAND

Dave H

Maybe they should go into a meeting posing as an independent contractor and tell a prospective client they use GeoMagic Design and experience the reaction for themselves. Maybe then, and only then, will they feel the embarrassment and reconsider the name!

geo777

How about a poll asking who would like a rebranding to something like 3DS Design?
I would think most business users would feel better with something like this?
Maybe if enough polled 3DS may notice?

Jimpulse

Alibre Super User
Understand that companies as big as 3DS will have a highly paid individual (if not several) in the position of marketing. Logos and product nomenclature are one of the most obvious ways that this crowd has of "marking their territory" . In 30 years of being in industry I have yet to meet a marketing agency that did NOT want to change a company logo as soon as they were hired...."Thats all the product needs...just relabeling and a new logo"
There is almost no chance that there will be a name change to something less stupid and offensive to the legacy customers. The only way is if the person(s) responsible wind up failing miserably, get fired, and a new Marketing type come in and marks their territory. By then, the name Alibre will be a historic footnote, along with some of their customers.

I could get comfortable with GeoSolids or GeoDesign or GeometricDesign or something like that.

I do appreciate the original poster relating his experience and response. Most of my customers know me, so I dont often have to "sell" myself in that kind of meeting, but if I did I would defer to the original name as long as I could.

jimpulse

indesign

Alibre Super User
One problem with all of the complaints from the solid modeling field of users. The Geomagic name was already a very highly thought of software in another area. The funny thing is during my initial problem of resolving a reverse engineering nightmare is the first time I heard the name outside of the re-branding that had occurred that very week.

I was having issues with point clouds from scanned models of several parts that required matching machined nests (holders). I was to take the scanned point cloud and convert it to a solid in order to machine the opposite form. Of course our software never did this type of thing but I was surprised to keep hearing Geomagic in my inquiries into the best software to use ( Quote: "Of course if you really want a good program then you need Geomagic."). Of course on researching I discovered the top of the line product used in the field of reverse engineering of parts from point clouds was a Geomagic program. We all know this sounds horrible to a solid modeling designer(Magic? Really? ). However the name hit a home run when talking to these companies. Not my field and certainly not many others but then again I could not get the $20k plus program and instead used Rhino with plugins for converting the point cloud and finished off in GMD.

I still go along with everyone here in that a name like 3DS would really be better and I hope the marketing people will give it another go.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Right, "Geomagic" is recognized for point cloud modeling and high price. Which one you think will come our way first? They should have just stuck 3DS in front of all product names and been done with it in a way that doesn't cause confusion and frustration.

wildwood58

NateLiqGrav said:
Right, "Geomagic" is recognized for point could modeling and high price. Which one you think will come our way first? They should have just stuck 3DS in front of all product names and been done with it in a way that doesn't cause confusion and frustration.

Exactly !!

robdavis

The Geomagic name has been a smaller problem to me than Steve as my clients are internal.

When I saw the name Geomagic my first thought was Disney Studios.

I have had to spend some time explaining the the story - Alibre - 3D Systems - Ping Fu - Geomagic to my colleagues.

Despite all the good intentions and marketing logic, Geomagic is not a good name for a serious 3D design program.

I suggest that 3D Systems consider having 2 names for identical products :
- Geomagic Design Elements and Alibre Professional
- Geomagic Design and Alibre Expert.

Alibre/Geomagic Design is a great 3D modelling product and it would be sad to see Alibre killed by a bad marketing strategy.

BTW I have pressure from my masters to move to SoildWorks - they have actually purchased SolidWorks but I am yet to switch over - the Geomagic name doesn't help.

In my limited exposure to SW I can report :
- Alibre Is more user friendly - less options to confuse
- I have found some neat features in SW that would be good in Alibre/Geomagic
- No overwhelming advantage with SW.

I have been using Alibre for 7 years and in that time I have never found a point where I have had to say "I can't do this."

I have come from Alibre V8 and there have been huge improvements since then - but even at V8 Alibre was a great design program. I was manufacturing parts for an big Ice Cream factory within days of purchasing Alibre and haven't stopped.

drbris

I have used AD Pro at my business for many years and SW at my work. AD Pro it is adequate for most of what I do
The STUPID GEOMAGIC rename does not help . I always have had to explain that Alibre is a SW knockoff and usually that goes over but GEOMAGIC it just sounds stupid and unprofessional.
Why spend time amd effort on a rename when there are so many other issues with the software and some things it just won't do.
Compared to SW- if I had the money I would buy SW.
Wish list
Fillets/chamfers that propagate-
Mold parting line- core/cavity tools
Surface tools that are usable

Toybuilder

Calling the "Pro" level GeoMagic Elements does not help, either. It brings to mind too much PhotoShop Elements which for a while was "free" with a purchase of a computer system. I was in the middle of composing a response to a new client when I started to describe my tools, and realized that it's the only tool in my arsenal that sounded cheap. And since I don't have a need for the other features that come in the "full" GeoMagic, I can't justify spending the extra increment to move up to it.

lfcamoes

Same thing here. Worked with Alibre for several years. Really like it but now i´m considering SW.
Just sound as some kid´s game. Losing business as well.

DLaviana

You think GEOMAGIC is silly? How about those of us who bought Alibre Standard a few years ago (when they offered it at $200), had it turn into Alibre Personal Edition (which is still OK), and now find it called CUBIFY DESIGN! What kind of name is that for anything, let alone a 3-D solid modeling program? Sounds like someone from the fast food industry thought it up - "Hey man, you wanna CUBIFY that?"

I still haven't upgraded, even though I extended my support agreement.

dwc

Alibre Super User
DLaviana said:
You think GEOMAGIC is silly? How about those of us who bought Alibre Standard a few years ago (when they offered it at $200), had it turn into Alibre Personal Edition (which is still OK), and now find it called CUBIFY DESIGN!

+1

On the other hand, Cubify Design is just silly, I find, however, GeoMAGIC to be damaging for business.
Don

tmostad

After being a loyal Alibre customer for 4 years I let my support contract lapse to demonstrate my dissatisfaction with the way 3DS has treated me with AD and the 3D printer I bought from them a couple years ago. The problem with that approach is that 3DS is a big company focused on driving to get big corporate clients and can afford -- and even want -- to shed people like me. I understand this all too well since I worked for 20 years at a Fortune 50 company and unless you could make at least a 6-figure (or even 7-figure) impact to their revenue, you were road kill. Good luck as an individual trying to use your money to make a difference. Won't happen.

Uman

We purchased Alibre Design V6 ten yeas ago with an upgraded to Expert and have maintained maintenance without default. We allowed our maintenance to expire this month and plan to step away from this product and Geomagic. Our rationale is based on the heritage product deterioration, maintenance fee deceit, policy changes, vault debacle, motion ll miscarriage, customer support MIA, and then the name change to Geomagic was the deal breaker; trivial to some, fatal to others. These Issues and poor return on the software revisions over the last 24 months appears to be a trend with this company.

Our strategy is to save the annual maintenance fee, step back and observe.

Goodby Geomagic Design,

Uman :arrow:

Status
Not open for further replies.