What's new

Bug in Software

GDBranch

Bug in Software

I have been helping a friend design a new out building. I don't typically use "Feet" as
a unit in my work but in this case the building is 80' x 60'x 24'.
I set properties to units=feet.
Created a rectangle,
Applied a symetric contraint to the X&Y origin.
Dimensioned the rectangle to 80' x 60'.

When I tried to "Extrude Boss", I received the "Status Sketch Problems Detected".
It indicated that there were open intersections at the corners, which was incorrect.
If I chose to ignore the warning it would extrude the wall to an 8" depth.

I'm waiting for Alibre support to let me know if I should IGNORE the warning
and continue, or whether the work may in some way be corrupted due to the bug.

I'm very happy with Alibre's support. I've used it several times, got quick responses, and
I was always the cause of the problem. It's nice to not be at fault for once.

z28tt

Are you certain the sketch is closed? The easiest way is to drag a wall segment and make sure the other 2 walls adjust and follow along. Zoom way in at the corner to make sure the two nodes are perfectly concentric.

Andris

kdevoe

I have seen this problem now & then on a sketch that I know is closed and have ignored it with no problems.

Kevin

BobSchaefer

I would have to agree with Kevin and GDBranch, I too have seen this problem. If you read GDBranch's original posting, he used the rectangle tool, so there shouldn't be any problems with it. This is what I run into on a lot of my drawings since SP1, it constantly complains that my drawings are not closed when I used standard tools to make my drawing and it is indeed closed. I haven't submitted anything yet, but it is annoying.

Oh, and I too just say ignore and continue on my way without problems.

scarr

I've seen this too on occassion. If I run the Sketch Analysis tool when this happens there's usually a disjoint end or an overlap in evidence even though the sketch was created with Snap to Grid turned on. Might be an internal precision problem?

GDBranch

I confirmed this with Alibre's support people.
All of my steps need to be done to create the
problem.
1. Just using "Feet" as a unit won't do it.
2. Just adding a "Symetric Constraint" won't do it.
3. Just Dimensioning it won't do it.
But all of the above, and a dimension greater than 51'
will cause the problem.