What's new

Bug/Issue - Global Parameters - Parameter Comments

jfleming

Alibre Super User
First, checking if this is normal behavior? If so, I will be submitting ticket to enhance this.

I created a global parameters file, with named values of G-D01, G-D02, etc... I then added comments to them which describe what the value is for.

Next, I created my part file, and linked the Global Parameter File.

When trying to place a dimension value on the part using a GP value, the comments field for the GP values are not populated with the information from the GP file itself. I also discovered that this comment field is "locked". Sort of inconvenient and a waste of time adding the comments to the GP file if they do not show up where you are actually going to use them??? No???

Also, before someone asks, NO, I cannot use the Comment value for the Name value.

Thanks!

Screenshot from the part file: area in yellow is where i would expect to see the Comment values i entered in the GP file.
1687886433232.png

Screenshot from GP file: I was expecting these values in the comments field to transfer to the fields in the part file where the GP values are referenced.

1687886494830.png

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Jason,

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I can see a logic that comments regarding a variable should be located where it is defined. That is to say the behaviour you see may well be as intended.

Passing the comment value down with the rest of the Global would also make sense to me (especially as the field is non-editable in the EE).

jfleming

Alibre Super User
Passing the comment value down with the rest of the Global would also make sense to me (especially as the field is non-editable in the EE).

The GP values are only used in other locations (parts, assemblies) so why wouldn't they appear in the parts and assemblies EE????