What's new

Build 2017.1.2 Why is it so unstable

I'm at my wits end with this version of Alibre.

All the licencing fuckups and different companies owning Alibre and when the dust settled anyone no longer on maintenance got this unstable sometimes unusable version that just drives me mental when using it for my livelihood. Sketches that move on their own accord, circular edges that are facetted in 3d models and drawings. Program crashing and needing the pc to be restarted so the program will work again.

I used to have a program that worked and didn't have stupid issues the slow down my productivity. I don't understand why a program I payed for and payed maintenance in the past is now sometimes unusable because I went through difficult times and maintenance costs went up drastically and I didnt feel the need to keep paying.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
2017.1.2 !! There have been 19 releases (6 of them pretty major) of Alibre Design since then. I think if you invested in an update to the current version (v24), you'll have way more success than you're having at present.

2017.1.2 !! There have been 19 releases (6 of them pretty major) of Alibre Design since then. I think if you invested in an update to the current version (v24), you'll have way more success than you're having at present.
So what you are saying is I was given an inferior version of alibre compared to what I had before and now I must pay to get a better version.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
So what you are saying is I was given an inferior version of alibre compared to what I had before and now I must pay to get a better version.
No, just saying that a lot of good things have happened in the last 4+ years of development!

I think the issue is not with Alibre LLC, but the way in which 3D Systems ruined a good application in the short time they owned it. Pretty typical of large organisations that buy out smaller companies to gain IP and asset strip! The guys who bought back Alibre Design after the mess 3DSystems made of it had a lot to put right ... and they have invested a lot of effort into moving the application forward.

Us long term stalwarts of AD have all been through that pain, but believe me, it's far better now than it's ever been and you'll be had pushed to find a parametric CAD application, of it's calibre, for less than the cost a single maintenance payment to get the very latest!

If you're unhappy, reach out to Alibre support and talk to them, they do a lot to look after their customers.

GIOV

Alibre Super User
Hi PlutoniumDan,
I recommend to re-install the software again. In my Experience this procedure give a good result. If you are still issue please contact to support for a fresh copy of you version.

GIOV

Alibre Super User
Us long term stalwarts of AD have all been through that pain, but believe me, it's far better now than it's ever been and you'll be had pushed to find a parametric CAD application, of it's calibre, for less than the cost a single maintenance payment to get the very latest!
Hey simonb,
It seem that you are an investor...
None of my simple important request has been added since AD11.2...
Example: One guy from 2005!
and myself request:

No, just saying that a lot of good things have happened in the last 4+ years of development!

I think the issue is not with Alibre LLC, but the way in which 3D Systems ruined a good application in the short time they owned it. Pretty typical of large organisations that buy out smaller companies to gain IP and asset strip! The guys who bought back Alibre Design after the mess 3DSystems made of it had a lot to put right ... and they have invested a lot of effort into moving the application forward.

If you're unhappy, reach out to Alibre support and talk to them, they do a lot to look after their customers.
Will do a reload and also look into updating if I can get the newest version on a maintenance licence, the offer comes up now and then

simonb65

Alibre Super User
It seem that you are an investor...
I'm only a user that invests in tools like Alibre to power my business, like many others on here!

None of my simple important request has been added since AD11.2...
That's something you need to discuss with the guys at Alibre.

Like many on here, I too have made requests, some get implemented, some don't. Those that don't, I usually workaround by writing in-house Add-ons or external C# applications to drive Alibre through the API. I'm sure for sectional properties, you could get that information through a well written script or using the API. You need to convince Alibre dev it's benefits and payback to them to spend time and resource implementing such features. I'm sure the feature has massive benefit to you, but if only a few users in a pool of thousands of users, want a feature that takes a significant portion of resources, then I'm sure the Alibre guys will most likely put that limited resource into other things right now!

You really need to speak to them. As, I say, I'm just a user like you. I have as much influence as you do ... and that is very little in the grand scheme of things!

GIOV

Alibre Super User
You really need to speak to them. As, I say, I'm just a user like you. I have as much influence as you do ... and that is very little in the grand scheme of things!
Yes simonb65, you are right, I have already done so with no result, so I feel disappointed by many promises of the person who sold me the programme. Unfortunately I have not yet found one similar to Alibre but which includes the feature I want at a reasonable price. It is very important for my daily life when I have to optimize a complex structure according to various regulations. Well, I hope to find this working tool that has been elusive so far. For the rest, I am already out of subscription, so my opinion doesn't count anymore.
One thing I can be proud of is to have collaborated in ideas with Stefan to develop the 3d points and material properties. That was a big step for AD but what happens with Andy? The base is gone?
Best regards.

beastro

yet found one similar to Alibre but which includes the feature I want at a reasonable price.
I think that's why so many of us chose Alibre to start with and remain loyal customers. I usually subscribe to maintenance every alternate year and that works pretty well for me. As Simon stated, they implement features according to the rules of majority. At least there is a scripting feature and API that allows to implement personal enhancements.
Regards