What's new

Button for Thinwall features... Now it's official!

What is your view on a toolbar button for Thinwall features?

• No! No! A million times, no!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes! Yes! A million times, yes!

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • I am coolly indifferent to this subject.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • For the love of Pete, give this to Jordan, so he can stop whining about it...

Votes: 12 70.6%
  • What was the question again?

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters

JordanCClark

Alibre Super User
After looking back over my past year's worth of posts, I see I've never made this an official Enhancement Request! :shock:

Notice there is not an option for calling me "monkey-boy" on this poll, keeping me out of ridicule's way-- maybe.

And while this is one that's near and dear to my heart, I realize that there are bigger fish to fry-- even though it's just one tiny little button. :lol:

woo

Shouldn't any modern software allow the user to customize the interface by adding buttons that run just about any command available in the program??? Really, hasn't Microsoft Office been doing this for years and years already? Office even lets you customize the button icon itself. Of course though, you might not want to customize Alibre too much as the toolbars seem to be a little unstable.

If it sounds like I am being highly critical of the interface...I am. This type of stuff isn't an issue in high quality software as there are plenty of examples of impressive UIs out there (Microsoft and Apple really have done a great job in this area) that are available to borrow ideas from (don't reinvent the virtual wheel; while I'm not a programmer I'm sure the SDKs include all this stuff already). Alibre Design really isn't that special that it deserves such a unique interface. Just make it like all the other current Window's based programs so that it is functional and easy to use. If Alibre will do that I believe it will make the product more attractive, more stable, more professional... and then the Alibre programmers can focus on improving and adding features that are unique to 3D CAD.

If you need a further examples of what I am talking about here is a short list:
*The welcome window is completely useless. Why not have a standard window that will work with a part, assembly, 2D, whatever. I can work from the NEW menu and I won't have that annoying window in the background all the time.
*Inconsistent look and feel to dialog boxes. I feel that my brain uses extra energy finding the information it needs whenever I open a dialog box.
*Window size and screen position memory...WHY NOT?...nearly every other program in the world can do this!
*No buttons for Explode, Section, and many other commands (for Jordan).
*Toolbars and menus should coordinate better.

-Woo

My blood sugar level must be low because I normally don't vent like this... :oops: Oh well, Alibre is usually pretty good at responding to suggestions, maybe they'll notice this one.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
woo said:
*The welcome window is completely useless. Why not have a standard window that will work with a part, assembly, 2D, whatever. I can work from the NEW menu and I won't have that annoying window in the background all the time.
I disagree with this slightly I like having the Home window. I do think that it should minimize to the tray icon (whatever that icon does?) when it is not in use.

JordanCClark

Alibre Super User
:shock:

Sorry, woo, didn't mean to open up a can of worms for you. The Thinwall Button thing has been a running gag for me for a couple of years now. There were topics running for about two months that I could answer with using thinwall techniques. I would usually end the post with something like "It's hard to believe there's no button :roll: ". I'll apologize to everyone if it seems like I was soapboxing on this. In reality, I'm betting that most of us don't use it. This poll was to provide a little comic relief at my expense (because if I can't laugh at myself, I'm forced to laugh at you guys).

Granted there can be tweaks to the UI, there really are bigger fish to fry in the way of overall functionality.

Even though it's just one tiny little button... :wink: Sorry, I just had to put in. :oops:

woo

JordanCClark said:
:shock:

Sorry, woo, didn't mean to open up a can of worms for you.

Like I said, it must have been my low blood sugar because I'm feeling better already! :D

But I will stick by what I said too! Alibre really can and should do a lot better...

woo

I've had a change of heart (again) Jordan. I just realized that Apple has been extremely successful with just a single button on their mouse, so maybe Alibre should simplify and try that, a single "do-all" button! :wink:

Aytac

woo said:
Shouldn't any modern software allow the user to customize the interface by adding buttons that run just about any command available in the program??? Really, hasn't Microsoft Office been doing this for years and years already? Office even lets you customize the button icon itself. Of course though, you might not want to customize Alibre too much as the toolbars seem to be a little unstable.

If you need a further examples of what I am talking about here is a short list:
*Inconsistent look and feel to dialog boxes. I feel that my brain uses extra energy finding the information it needs whenever I open a dialog box.
*Window size and screen position memory...WHY NOT?...nearly every other program in the world can do this!
*No buttons for Explode, Section, and many other commands (for Jordan).
*Toolbars and menus should coordinate better.

-Woo
I'll second this. Easy to use, stable and standard interface is a top priority.

indesign

Alibre Super User
woo said:
I've had a change of heart (again) Jordan. I just realized that Apple has been extremely successful with just a single button on their mouse, so maybe Alibre should simplify and try that, a single "do-all" button! :wink:

And don't forget that 'EASY' button on the Staples commercials. We could all use that one.

wathavy4

Alibre Super User
Ah, please don't forget that I'm asking them for configurable menu items, which include all command available to put into right click menu and tool bars just like any other software available in the world.
(I cannot point out where it was, but at least I know I made a request quoting CoCreate menu.)

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
I think I remember it and I think I posted a picture of the AutoCAD customize gui. Don't remember where it was though. :roll:

I think we need a forum for old obsolete and redundant enhancement requests and slowly go through the enhancement forum and move them over. I think it would really help Alibre to have the enchantments forum narrowed down.