What's new

Cable internet vs what?

jwknecht

Alibre Super User
Cable internet vs what?

For the past 6 weeks, I have had issues with my Comcast High Speed Interent service. If it were any other service, I would not have dumped them for something else. But, what are the alternatives? I have thought of DSL, but BellSouth forces you to also pay for a phone service (local). I don't want a phone service through BellSouth or any other company as I now have Vonage and am happy with it.

Are there other DSL providers that don't force you to have a phone service too?

Comcasts keeps given me token "credits" to my account, but my time spent with them is not worth it.

When the Cable service works, it is great. Right now though, my download speeds when I need them the most are near dial up speeds (or slow DSL), and since the tech came by today... I now have packet loss.

Sorry if this is completely off topic. Just wanted to see if there is someone that might have some ideas for me.

Signed, desperately seeking a high speed solution.

JordanCClark

Alibre Super User

There are wireless internet companies that you might look into, although if you're in the mountains, I don't know how viable an option that would be.

Was this is gradual problem? I ask, because a few months ago, I was having the same sort of problems. I was even moving the cable modem closer to the outside, it would work ok for a day or two then start up again. Anyway, after making me run new cabling in my house, I found out that my cable modem was going bad. After replacing the cable modem, I have not had any issues since.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Jordan

swertel

Alibre Super User

I remember back in the days that I had digital cable and cable internet.

Month 1: Call cable tech to come in and fix the static in the digital receiver.
Month 2: Call cable tech to come in a fix the ghosting that now appears in the other analog tvs because his adjustment to clear up the digital screwed up the rest.
Month 3: Call cable tech to come in and fix the internet because his adjustment for the analog cable tv screwed up being able to communicate at the internet frequency.
Month 4: Everything works.
Month 5: Call cable tech to come in a fix the static in the digital receiver.
Month 6: Call cable tech to fix analog.
Month 7: Call cable tech to fix internet. Can't fix, replace modem. Under warranty thankfully.
Month 8: New modem comes, call cable tech back in to transmission settings.
Month 9: Call cable tech to fix digital.
Month 10: Call to fix analog.
Month 11: Screw it, we're moving anyway and Cable isn't available in the new house.

New house:
Went with phone company's DSL, my own ISP (hate MSN), and DirectTV. With 340+ clear days a year in AZ, no problems with loss of signal due to clouds or T-Storms. DSL Cable is up 98.5% of the time. It's been better lately, near 100% up time. And, now that I installed a network enhancer utility from my Mobo mfg (i-speeder by MSI), I actually get my fully advertised download speed of 1.5Mb/s. I think next year I'm going to upgrade my DSL service to 3.0Mb/s (where min is 1.5 Mb/s instead of the max at 1.5).

John,

I'd definitely check into getting a new cable modem. Borrow one from a friend. Otherwise I think I still have my old one, which should be good, but will have to be reconfigured for Comcast, if they recognize the specific brand. Yours for the cost of shipping plus $5-10 handling.

indesign

Alibre Super User

When I installed my own cable modem I had to call them. While on the phone they found my modem and allowed the connection.

scarr

The way it was explained to me was the cable system is just like a waterpipe it only has the capacity for so much flow (bandwidth) and the more spigots that are turned on (TV's, computers, etc.) the slower the flow will become. I noticed this a couple of years ago, when the response time was getting longer, and longer, and I was being timed out of sessions after some period of inactivity. I switched to DSL, which, as was explained to me, is a dedicated line, your line, and no one else will be attached to it. The improvement was immediate. There are still times when it's slower than others (demands on server capacity during the day), but nothing I can complain about, and I have never been timed out of a session. The commercials they run on TV for TW are a bit mis-leading - but it is TV and it is advertising.

jwknecht

Alibre Super User

Thanks for all the replies. You can always count on this forum for input, no matter the topic.

Regarding the modem: We switched it out temporarily when the tech was there. The new modem was fluctuating in download speeds like the old. But at that time I was not seeing packet loss. Beginning that night, I experienced packet loss along with the slow speeds (now much worse, and timing out). I replaced the one cable that the tech put new ends on, thinking that he might have ruined it. No effect, still same problems. Now, I am going to hook up my modem direct to the line from the street before my box going into the house. I will use my laptop and check for speed and packet loss. This will tell me if it is in my wiring. It still could be my modem, but the other possibility will then be in the Comcast side in the street somewhere.

I kept in contact with the tech that came out, he is trying to help. He said that a guy will call me and will come out with his laptop to diagnose the problem.

If it is not fixed, I will be going to DSL. I will keep Vonage though, and just get the basic local service for the Bellsouth phone (and won't use it).

I will let you all know.

swertel

Alibre Super User
Re:

jwknecht said:
If it is not fixed, I will be going to DSL. I will keep Vonage though, and just get the basic local service for the Bellsouth phone (and won't use it).

You'll just have a dedicated fax number now.

linuxguy

Re: Cable internet vs what?

jwknecht said:
I have thought of DSL, but BellSouth forces you to also pay for a phone service (local). I don't want a phone service through BellSouth or any other company as I now have Vonage and am happy with it.

Are there other DSL providers that don't force you to have a phone service too?

I have DSL through SpeakEasy.Net and I do not have a land line phone. They offer what they call OneLink DSL, which does not require you to have a land line. My only phone is my cell phone and I have no intention of ever paying for a land line again. I have a 6 Meg DSL connection. SpeakEasy also gives way better service than Comcast ever did when I had cable. SpeakEasy Customer Support has been no less than excellent anytime I have had to call, and they actually have answers and solutions.

I can even run my own servers, which I do, with SpeakEasy. Comcast has a fit if you even mention running your own servers and they do not allow static IP addresses. I have four static IP addresses with SpeakEasy and can get more when I need them. I can do so much more with SpeakEasy than I could ever do with Comcast. I even run my own primary DNS and one web server for one of my four domains - right on my own server.

jwknecht said:
Comcasts keeps given me token "credits" to my account, but my time spent with them is not worth it.

When the Cable service works, it is great. Right now though, my download speeds when I need them the most are near dial up speeds (or slow DSL), and since the tech came by today... I now have packet loss.

I just had my Comcast cable TV shut off too because the picture quality was so bad. I won't pay Comcast for services anymore.

I get a nearly constant 600 KBps download rate with SpeakEasy.Net when the site on the other end can push stuff to me fast enough. That's 600+ Kilobytes/second. Rarely do I get below 300KBps. I have been with SpeakEasy for over a year now.

jwknecht

Alibre Super User

Again, thanks to all who responded.

Here is the latest.

Actually some good news after some very frustrating nights.

Here is a tip. Once you get a "good tech" to come by, keep their cell phone number. They use their cell phone to call you before they come out, so you have it. A good guy will try to help after the service call is done. That is how I finally got some resolution.

The packet loss turned out to be a bad fitting found by a maint tech. But, this only got me back to the original problem of slow downloads. And, last night, they were so slow, I could not do anything useful. I certainly could not use the shared repository files over Alibre.

Today, that Maint tech (remember, I kept his phone number too), called his super and got a tech to do a sweep in the street. As it turns out, tonight I have a good connection. In fact it is faster than I have had for a long time. But, I heard the tech did not find anything major, just some minor settings. But, whatever he did fixed my problem. I will monitor it for some nights.

The good thing I found is that the DSL service sounds like it is a good option. I will not hesitate to go to it if I continue to experience issues. DSL through Bellsouth actually has a service that has downloads as fast as the Comcast and the upload is faster. And, you don't share it with your nieghbors.

I don't think I can get Speakeasy where I am. Not too long ago, I checked into it.

scarr

People who rig their cable boxes, or pirate the signal can cause major problems on the system - perhaps that's why the tech called for a street sweep???

jwknecht

Alibre Super User

Although Comcast has gotten back to almost normal, I have seen the performance dip to 10% of the rated download speed at the times that I really need it. It could be broadband pirates, a bunch of traffic in my neighborhood, or whatever... I don't care... it does not work.

So, I have ordered Bellsouth DSL. I will have it online in the middle of this week. I will compare it for a few weeks and if no problems, goodbye to Comcast. Also, may get the dish for TV. Comcast's problems have forced me to look at other options, and my eyes are wide open. Things change fast, I did not know there were so many options out there.

Will let you all know how it goes.

swertel

Alibre Super User

FYI: I don't know how soon this will hit the market, but researchers have developed a way to increase DSL speeds to that of cable without having to run a fiber optic cable all the way to the house. In other words, using the existing copper network.

I'm guessing since it will save Ma Bell companies a fortune in not having to run fiber and still get competitive speeds, that you'll be seeing either the standard DSL speeds increase at the same price point, or more options for increased speeds at higher price points. I'm guessing the prior considering cable competition. Oh, and you still get your dedicated connection unlike cable.

Mibe

Alibre Super User

Just out of curiousity, how much do You pay for a 100 MBit Internet Connection in your country?

In Sweden it is about $35/month and I consider that to be quite inexpensive...

10 MBit is about $25/month.

Bob

Qwest monthly price in Iowa- 3 to 5 Mbps down and 896 kbps up, including MSN premium ISP- $54.99, minus $13 for the first year = $41.99 (stand alone DSL). If you bundle it with local phone and long distance it is $5 less or $36.99. If you sign a contract for two years, and stay with it, the -$13 price is guarateed for life. (again this includes MSN) see this link if that wasn't perfectly clear keeping in mind that your copper loop has to qualify. There are similar offers for other speeds too. http://www.qwest.com/residential/internet/pricing.html Bob

jwknecht

Alibre Super User

Update: Have had the DSL (6mb download and 512k upload) for a couple of days now. It is far superior to my Comcast Cable internet connection. The speeds are consistant. I am not sharing bandwidth, and will be dropping the Comcast connection after a slightly longer test period.

esingleton

Re:

scarr said:
...DSL, which, as was explained to me, is a dedicated line, your line, and no one else will be attached to it.

Not exactly true. It is a dedicated line but only back to the switch. Then you are thrown on the same wires as everybody else.