What's new

Can Alibre show dimensions on a part?

slipstick

In SolidWorks, when I select a feature on a part, it shows dimensions right away, as here;

upload_2018-6-2_8-10-14.png

Can Alibre do that, or do I have to open the sketch for editing, to see dimensions? I hope I just need to turn on a setting somewhere...

simonb65

Alibre Super User
If you toggle Annotations (Ctrl-Shift-A), it shows extrusion lengths but not sketch annotations!! Maybe its an oversight by the developers ??

I agree, Solidworks looks good with the dimensions shown, especially on isometric views. Then again, I'm a big fan of the semi-rendered look of Solidworks models and the ground shadow effect :)

slipstick

Excellent! That was a help. Is there a a place where I can submit this for possible inclusion in the future? Some kind of feature request page?

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Either via the 'suggest a feature' button on Forum home page, or via a support ticket.

Do try to be specific though with a good definition.

jhiker

Alibre Super User
In SolidWorks, when I select a feature on a part, it shows dimensions right away, as here;

View attachment 25973

Can Alibre do that, or do I have to open the sketch for editing, to see dimensions? I hope I just need to turn on a setting somewhere...

A quick heads-up if you haven't already noticed this...
If you click on a feature (face/edge/diameter, etc) Alibre shows you some useful information in the bottom-right corner.
Highlight.jpg

Jimpulse

Alibre Super User
Following up on Jeff's post about the properties in the lower right corner... if you select an entity, a dimension for it will be displayed, if you then hold the shift key and select another entity, the distance between them (if appropriate) will be displayed.
Selections to the edge of a cylinder or hole will be to the nearest edge; selections to the face of a Cyl or hole will be to the center.

I find this facility INVALUBLE and use it all the time.

albie0803

Alibre Super User
Be careful with this though. If for example you are trying to measure the distance between 2 offset planes you will get an oblique "plane centre" to "plane centre" distance, not a always a true offset value.
I have found it safer to open the Measurement tool (at the top of the window beside the view icons) and then select entities as above. That way I can check what value I am actually getting.

CaptureOffset.JPG

As you can see I have selected 2 surfaces that are parallel but an oblique value is given, but what I was expecting was delta Z. I have circled the measuring line. So Beware!!

Reactions: MKR

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
A quick heads-up if you haven't already noticed this...
If you click on a feature (face/edge/diameter, etc) Alibre shows you some useful information in the bottom-right corner.
+1

That's been a available for a while and was listed in a "What's New" document but it's a good idea to repeat it on the forum for newbies and for those that haven't read or didn't see the "What's New."

BTW, where is that list? There should be a link to it somewhere.