What's new

Can Alibre show "fake" thread pattern on 2D drawings shaded views?

jevs

Can Alibre Design Expert show threaded holes with a pattern on the internal surface on your shaded views in 2D drawings? Picture attached from the other CAD program I use. It is not an actual thread showing, just a pattern it puts on the smooth surface so the "pretty" pictures show it is a threaded hole.

I cannot find an option to do this (if it is possible). I am on the 2019 version.

Attachments

• Threads.JPG
    Threads.JPG
    21.7 KB · Views: 20

idslk

Alibre Super User
How is that going to happen?
as well as i don't know for what these "fake" threads should be good for(maybe for compete with other CAD programso_O), the technical solution is already done in each rendering program where textures are bound to materials...
Otherwise like Timo said, it's a CAD program...
Regards
Stefan

Max

Administrator
Staff member
as well as i don't know for what these "fake" threads should be good for(maybe for compete with other CAD programso_O), the technical solution is already done in each rendering program where textures are bound to materials...

I think you might be missing the point. If we take this to the extreme, why show cosmetic thread callouts in 3D at all right now? The definition is there, no reason to see it on the model? The simple fact is that it makes it easier to wrap your head around the design. Some people could care less, other people care a lot. It's relatively easy to do now that we are on this graphics engine.

The point of this is not for "rendering" - it's for design-time ease of use.

Ah, but you need to be able to differentiate between (say( 60° V-threads, ACME threads, Buttress threads, etc. How is that going to happen?

That probably will not happen, at least to start. Showing something 'is threaded at all' is the starting point.

idslk

Alibre Super User
Hello Max,
I think you might be missing the point.
Migth be so.
It's relatively easy to do now that we are on this graphics engine.
I know.
The point of this is not for "rendering"
This was only to explain to someone else, that if i have an information like material or a "cosmetic thread callout", it should be "easy" to choose a suitable "bitmap" for the thread representation.
I'm sorry, that it isn't that high on "my list", but i also think that on the marketing side of view it will be a good step.

Regards
Stefan

jevs

It's mainly for when someone glances at the 2D drawing and looks at the ISO or other shaded view and they immediately see which holes are threaded vs not threaded etc. It is not needed, it just give a little better representation of the finished part for hardly any performance loss and no extra modeling. This is just a "wallpaper" on the inside of the smooth hole. It would give little to no other information other than..."oh, this part has 4 threaded holes" as soon as you pick up the drawing. I only asked because I wanted to know if this software does it or not since I couldn't find any option. It's a nicety, not a necessity.
A call out on a hole in text to say what it is, is easily done with what we have.

netcp

It's mainly for when someone glances at the 2D drawing and looks at the ISO or other shaded view and they immediately see which holes are threaded vs not threaded etc. It is not needed, it just give a little better representation of the finished part for hardly any performance loss and no extra modeling. This is just a "wallpaper" on the inside of the smooth hole. It would give little to no other information other than..."oh, this part has 4 threaded holes" as soon as you pick up the drawing.
+1

bigseb

Alibre Super User
It's mainly for when someone glances at the 2D drawing and looks at the ISO or other shaded view and they immediately see which holes are threaded vs not threaded etc. It is not needed, it just give a little better representation of the finished part for hardly any performance loss and no extra modeling. This is just a "wallpaper" on the inside of the smooth hole. It would give little to no other information other than..."oh, this part has 4 threaded holes" as soon as you pick up the drawing. I only asked because I wanted to know if this software does it or not since I couldn't find any option. It's a nicety, not a necessity.
A call out on a hole in text to say what it is, is easily done with what we have.
+1

simonb65

Alibre Super User
It's mainly for when someone glances at the 2D drawing and looks at the ISO or other shaded view and they immediately see which holes are threaded vs not threaded etc. It is not needed, it just give a little better representation of the finished part for hardly any performance loss and no extra modeling.
+1