What's new

Can I ??? Export Global Parameters to .CSV, .XLSX, etc.

jfleming

Alibre Super User
Is there currently a way to export a Global Parameter value to a .csv file? Or Excel file?

Or a way to reference that GP value from an excel file???

albie0803

Alibre Super User
It could be scripted to load values from an excel file and write them to parameters

Shaft OD builder script reads values from excel

add lines like below to then update parameter values

a_Bore = MyPart.GetParameter("a_Bore")
a_Bore.Value = ID

Scripting also has AttachToExcel()

Attachments

• Shaft OD Builder with Dimensions.py
    2 KB · Views: 9

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure which direction you are trying to go in, but an Excel file can drive values in a GLP file. Handy if you need the versatility of Excel.

Taylor

Is there currently a way to export a Global Parameter value to a .csv file? Or Excel file?

Or a way to reference that GP value from an excel file???
Any luck with this? I am also trying to do the same thing. What I would like to do is have the values of driven dimensions in Alibre appear in Excel cells.

The only thing I've managed to do (new to Alibre) is have Excel report the value of a driven parameter (in the Alibre Parameters menu). Now, if I could just find a way to point an Excel cell to that driven parameter's current value.

Edit: I tried accomplishing this using global parameters without success as it seems to be more unidirectional than using the "spreadsheet driven designs".

Last edited:

jfleming

Alibre Super User
I want to use values in the excel file to do two things:

1) drive the dimensions of my model
2) be utilized on a calculation page for my guy that is making the part, to auto-calculate some of his tool position values for a manual operation we must perform on a "form tool" to make the part in question.

just looking to eliminate a step and/or opportunity for fat-fingering/errors.

idslk

Alibre Super User
1) drive the dimensions of my model
2) be utilized on a calculation page for my guy that is making the part, to auto-calculate some of his tool position values for a manual operation we must perform on a "form tool" to make the part in question.
Sounds that a "direct"-excel connection (see second link from David) would be a good choise...

Regards
Stefan

jfleming

Alibre Super User
So I finally had a chance to look at this Excel Add-On today. Got things working nicely . Closed all the programs down, and then when opening the Excel Add-On, suddenly had the error shown below, and now there is no updating between excel and the GP file. The GP file is linked, there are no "red" items, and the filepath shown is correct.

@DavidJ do you have any advice here?

1687456982343.png

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Jason,

I've successfully used excel add-on to drive GLP files. Haven't hit that issue.

It's evening here. Suggest you raise a support ticket, include files and the alibre.log file. The team in Texas may be able to help before I'm available in the morning.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Jason,
Did you have the GLP file open before launching the Excel add-on? The add-on needs to connect to an open Alibre session.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Jason - see response to your support ticket. Looks like a problem (corruption?) with your Excel file. Copying the data to a new Excel file, and re-linking resolved things.

If this happens please report it with as much information as possible. I'm not discounting an Alibre problem.

If anyone finds a way to reproducibly provoke this issue, please report it.