What's new

can working from a server cause problems?

Alibre Design Version:[ PRODUCTVERSION 13,0,0,13062 ] 64-bit, our files such as parts, assembles, drawings, and all work related to them are kept on a central server so that they are backed up each day.

Does working from a server add complexity to Alibre's ability to work efficiently? I get save errors, generating to last feature errors, when selecting a section view errors, etc, an assembly or drawing locking up in the middle of a rotation.

There are roughly 30 parts 3 of which are sub-assemblies. There are helical cuts and bosses, fillets and champers, various shell operations, multiple hole configurations.

I have uninstalled, cleaned and reinstalled AD, including the driver for the graphics card using a sweep program for removal. I have tried saving to the hard drive to forgo the server and still receive errors.

The computers build:
- i3 550 (3.2gHz)
- 4g of ram
- Nvidia GeForce GT430
- 250g hard drive (80% free)

Any thoughts. Thanks

buckeye3.14

RCH_Projects

Alibre Super User
You may have to search for more elusive problems.

The oddest problem I have ever seen - //viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13418&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=battery

I do not think Alibre itself participates directly in server communications so I would focus on the work station. It almost sounds like a system memory problem.

You might do a search for other odd conditions in the Alibre forum or the internet - using search terms related to your symptoms.

If you can, use a substitute computer and see if the condition continues.

Hardware diagnostic options abound.

Good luck.

Roger

The system I am using now is on the right, the previous on the left. Still having save issues, with slow opening speeds. Not a huge design file.

Thanks for the replies.

- i3 550 (3.2gHz) --------------------- i5 2500k (3.3gHz)
- 4g of ram ---------------------------- 8g of ram
- Nvidia GeForce GT430 ------------- Nivida GTX 560Ti
- 250g hard drive (80% free) -------- 160g SSD 70% free

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Check out posts relating to Microsoft's 'Autotune' - it can apparently cause havoc and may be better switched off if it is available on your system.

I thought our IT support did this months ago, however when I set the value in command prompt it said "ok." I assume it was not disabled then.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
A few points -

The thing that is probably slowing you down the most is your network transfer speed. Consider your 30 part assembly - how big are all the files in total? Open it, do a Save All As locally in a folder on your desktop and see how big they are together. You can have a single part that's 80 megs or 30 parts that are 2 megs, just depends on what the parts are, what the facets (display smoothness) are set to, etc.

If every time you open an assembly you have to transfer 50 - 100 megs, it's probably going to be slow to open. Any hiccup in the network transfer may cause weirdness, but that will happen with almost any application. Depending on the complexity of your network, number of users transferring at once, the network speed (100MB/Gigabit/etc) it may be slow.

Are you working remotely via a VPN for example? If so, you're definitely limited by your network connection.

If you get to the office real early before everyone else is there, is it significantly faster than at 1pm? If so, it's likely your network is too slow for your particular use, which is transferring big CAD files constantly, and doesn't scale with additional load (pesky coworkers).

If AD seems to freeze up while files are already open, consider looking at your autosave/recovery options. I'm not positive how that works on a network scenario or if it just hosts the backup files locally (probably), but try disabling the autosave and see if that's what's making the freezes happen after it's open.

You mention errors: what errors specifically are you getting? Windows errors or Alibre Design errors? What are they? Screen caps would go a long way to helping diagnose. Network issues should not cause section view errors for example, or generate to last feature errors in most cases. Now if your design contains a boolean that references some part on the network, and the network happens to be unavailable at that moment, a regenerate may have issues. We really need to see the exact errors you're getting.

Max said:
11/16/12, I realize it's been a while but this is still a relevant issue. We are now using the latest AD 2012 version with the updates that have come across in the past several months as well as keeping up with MS updates. Our IT people have been working with Microsoft over the past couple of weeks to install some patches to cure a known problem that ailed Alibre. Still having issues of either office or Alibre when opening a file where in the upper right hand corner of the window it says ( Alibre not responding or Outlook not responding or word or excel or PDF).

A few points -

The thing that is probably slowing you down the most is your network transfer speed. Consider your 30 part assembly - how big are all the files in total? Open it, do a Save All As locally in a folder on your desktop and see how big they are together. You can have a single part that's 80 megs or 30 parts that are 2 megs, just depends on what the parts are, what the facets (display smoothness) are set to, etc.conservative on size of max file being 15mb. Did the save on the desktop marginal improvement, same errors with MS office and PDF programs.

If every time you open an assembly you have to transfer 50 - 100 megs, it's probably going to be slow to open. Any hiccup in the network transfer may cause weirdness, but that will happen with almost any application. Depending on the complexity of your network, number of users transferring at once, the network speed (100MB/Gigabit/etc) it may be slow.I realize that, it's the errors and the not responding lock up. I can deal with a little drag.

Are you working remotely via a VPN for example? If so, you're definitely limited by your network connection.
No, never have and never will

If you get to the office real early before everyone else is there, is it significantly faster than at 1pm? If so, it's likely your network is too slow for your particular use, which is transferring big CAD files constantly, and doesn't scale with additional load (pesky coworkers).Oh yeah this was a gimmie, it always runs better when I am the only one on the system. It's fighting for memory allocation.

If AD seems to freeze up while files are already open, consider looking at your autosave/recovery options. I'm not positive how that works on a network scenario or if it just hosts the backup files locally (probably), but try disabling the autosave and see if that's what's making the freezes happen after it's open. This did help some but I lost work as a result of not keeping up with saves.

You mention errors: what errors specifically are you getting? Windows errors or Alibre Design errors? What are they? Screen caps would go a long way to helping diagnose. Network issues should not cause section view errors for example, or generate to last feature errors in most cases. Now if your design contains a boolean that references some part on the network, and the network happens to be unavailable at that moment, a regenerate may have issues. We really need to see the exact errors you're getting.This is a good one and I have at least 50+ screen caps with various errors such as outlook unexpected error - outlook restarting (only happens when I am using Alibre). MS word or excel will just shut down then recover (only happens when I am using Alibre). PDF errors 2-3 different types (creating a PDF drawing). ALibre locking up just opening a blank template to create a drawing. Of course I've sent every - single - error - report to Alibre and not ONE singe bit of feedback from them. It's a black hole. I have all those saved in an outlook file.I'll load some pics when my machine gets back from IT. :(

Here are some screens. I have lots of them. I put five of them in one doc rather than create five separate files.
There are some errors that occur when creating simple features and drawings. I have tried saving these on my hard drive but am nearly out of space.

We recently reloaded Windows 7, 64-bit and reinstalled Alibre 2012. That was completed 11/19/2012.

Our IT person has a case open with Microsoft. They made mention of some known issues. Not sure, as I am not privy to all the dialog.

Attachments

• Alibre ERRORS 11-26-12.jpg
    Alibre ERRORS 11-26-12.jpg
    268.6 KB · Views: 44

kdevoe

I did have some minor problems when we first started using a server but it was not due to an Alibre problem. What I did was map the drive where the AD files were located on the server and it works great. I do beleive that this is a Windows server problem and so does our IT person.

Kevin

I use a solaris file server over gigabit and have never had an issue. Probably windows file server. Which is most big firms use NetApp or similar.

kdevoe said:
I did have some minor problems when we first started using a server but it was not due to an Alibre problem. What I did was map the drive where the AD files were located on the server and it works great. I do beleive that this is a Windows server problem and so does our IT person.

Kevin

Please go into more details about mapping the drive.Thanks

kdevoe

Go into th Windows File Explorer then right click on Computer. Then click on Map Network Drives.
Find the drive that your Alibre files are located and map it. Your computer will then be mapping the drive and will be a lot faster.

Kevin