What's new

Can you delete a sketch using script?

albie0803

Alibre Super User
When I use the sketch rotate command it creates a new sketch so the original one is now superfluous. Is there code to delete it?

albie0803

Alibre Super User
I have a question:

S = Hub.AddSketch('KeyseatProfile-X', Hub.AddPlane('KeyseatPlane', F, 0))
This defines sketch object S on plane "KeyseatPlane"

Hub.RemoveSketch('KeyseatProfile-X')
Removes the sketch
BUT
Hub.RemovePlane('KeyseatPlane')
Won't remove the plane and throws an error

KP = Hub.GetPlane('KeyseatPlane')
Hub.RemovePlane(KP)

removes the plane
BUT
I don't have to do this
Hub.RemoveSketch(S)
to remove the sketch

I don't understand the logic ????? :confused::mad:

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Not all methods are used the same and some methods are "Overloaded" meaning they have more than one possible way to use them.
For example RemovePlane only can be used by passing it a Plane object. However RemoveSketch can be used by passing it a string of the sketch Name OR by passing it the sketch object directly. You should check the help file for what each one requires.

upload_2020-3-19_19-11-40.png

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Also the word "void" in the above image is what that method expects to return. Void in this case means it doesn't return anything. Some methods do return values or objects. For example AddSketch returns a Sketch object.

albie0803

Alibre Super User
The reference guide is good if you understand python. For amateurs like me an example would make things so much easier.
We have the "what", but not the "how" (to implement it).

.RemoveSketch(String Name) I would interpret as 'Give the name of the sketch to be removed as a string'
.RemovePlane (Plane Plane) really doesn't mean much
.RemovePlane (Plane Descriptor) to me would be better. 'Give the descriptor of the plane object to be removed'

A lot hinges on getting your head around the idea of python objects. Objects have a descriptor and may also have a nametag. They are not the same thing and sometimes you need to use the descriptor and other times the nametag.

As I don't program very often, I end up with 'Oh yeah..thats right' moments after banging my head on the desk a few times. (or a lot of times and then pleading for help here)

On a good note, today I was able to grab bits of an existing script, modify it and add a bit more and get what I wanted first go. Yay me!

simonb65

Alibre Super User
The reference guide is good if you understand python. For amateurs like me an example would make things so much easier.
We have the "what", but not the "how" (to implement it).
Python reference is pretty much how most programming languages are documented! The problem in this case is that the use of it and functions are specific to Alibre Design and so examples of each function would help 10 fold. Saying that, learning the basics of Python through the many available books and online resources would answer 50% of all questions that people struggle with when scripting in Alibre.

If it makes you feel better, the examples of how to 'use' the Alibre API are sparse, outdated and do not give examples of how each function (or what those functions are) are non-existent. I've been writing code for 35+ years, but writing an Alibre Add-On was nothing short of a major challenge!

Last edited: