What's new

Cannot Create a New Project in Virtual Machine Windows 10 Install

ShirayukiX

I'm currently testing out if Alibre will work for my needs in a Windows 10 Virtual Machine with the 30-day trial. I use Arch Linux and a Qemu Virt-Manager GPU passthrough setup with a VPN, local network sharing proxy server setup. My windows VM is set with Japan system locale, as well. The program installed with no issues, however when I start Alibre and try to create a new part, assembly or 2D sketch, the follow error occurs.

An unexpected error occured. Please try again. If the problem persists contact Alibre Customer Support and Provide the following information.
Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Code:
at com.alibre.design.server.DesignWorkspace.getTopologyContextForConfiguration(Nullable`1 configurationId, Boolean generateBodyIfNeeded, Boolean forceCompute)
at com.alibre.design.server.Design.setActiveConfiguration(DesignConfiguration activatedConfig, Boolean updateOnActivation, DesignSession session, Boolean bWantSilentUpdate, Boolean bUpdateSlaveCache)
at com.alibre.design.server.DesignWorkspace.newEmptyPartWorkspace(RepositoryVersionReference originalVersion, Profile userProfile, String defaultName, Boolean isSheetMetal, Boolean resetModelUnits, SpreadsheetAnchor spreadsheetAnchor)
at com.alibre.design.server.DesignSession.initializeEmptyPart(Profile userProfile, String defaultName, Boolean isSheetMetal, SpreadsheetAnchor spreadsheetAnchor)
at com.alibre.design.server.DesignSessionFactory.newEmptyPartSession(UserContext userContext, Profile userProfile, String defaultName, Boolean isSheetMetal, IEngineeringSession parentSession, SpreadsheetAnchor spreadsheetAnchor)
at com.alibre.design.client.DesignContext.setEmptyPart(String defaultName, Boolean isSheetMetal, SpreadsheetAnchor spreadsheetAnchor)
at com.alibre.app.ClientShell.OpenEmptyPart.onRun()
at com.alibre.app.ClientShell.ThreadWorker.Run()

Is this issue related to VPN or VM configuration? I have disabled my VPN and it still hasn't worked, though there might more I need to do if that's the issue.

ShirayukiX

I checked for both Windows components (it would only let me install .NET 8.0), reinstalled them to be safe, as well as Atom 3D, and it still isn't working.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
VMs are not officially supported - but some have had success with them.

Looks like you managed the initial activation (which VPN might have interfered with).