What's new

Cannot open a customers STP file, Corrupt or unsupported?

rmcard

I have a customer STP file that I've attempted to open and I'm getting a

"Imported file does not contain supported solid body data"
"System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. at com.rose.STEPFileManager.getWorkspace(EngineeringSession sessi...."
"File was not imported due to errors"

Is the STP file too new of a version or could it be that it's just corrupted?

Attachments

• 22414046-DSM.stp
    1.6 MB · Views: 20

dlaery

Alibre Super User
I couldn't get it to open in GM
I did open it in BobCad

it looks the same in MOI

Attachments

• Screenshot 2015-06-23 10.58.29.png
    Screenshot 2015-06-23 10.58.29.png
    182.8 KB · Views: 11

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
If the file contains surfaces rather than solids, it won't make much sense to GD.

It may be possible to use an intermediary program to help (e.g. CadExchanger).

rmcard

Well, from the picture posted by dlaery it looks as though something is screwy with the file. The actual part is a single tube with 4 different bends with the flange on one end and the hose barb on the other end. Probably 20 inches long end to end if drawn straight with no bends. 3 of 4 bends are in the 30 to 45 degree range (all on different planes) and the last one a tad over 90 degrees. The hose barb ends up almost pointing in the same direction as the flange end. There is no multiple curly-Q blending of tubes into itself.

dlaery

Alibre Super User
In Bobcad I was able to get it to look like this,

But when I saved it and tried it in GM, the solids came through but not the tube

Attachments

• Screenshot 2015-06-23 11.49.15.png
    Screenshot 2015-06-23 11.49.15.png
    113.4 KB · Views: 14

rmcard

Well bobCAD managed to get it right the second time, I wonder why geomagic is having such a tough time.

dlaery

Alibre Super User
well I would guess is because it what DavidJ said about surfaces. I openned it in MOI and saved as a 3dm file and then imported into GM I can send you that to see if it works if you want. I am on my way to a meeting now.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
For interest's sake this is how it imports into Catia:

Attachments

• 101.JPG
    101.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 23

Ralf

Alibre Super User
The STEP file was created with CREO.
The pipe is not a Solid (volume) and contains a lot of surface/face errors.
Not well stitched, gaps ...

23 problem areas

Attachments

• 23-errors.png
    23-errors.png
    333 KB · Views: 16

Ralf

Alibre Super User
After fixing the errors in the tube, a Solid (volume/ body) can be imported with Alibre:

Attachments

• Now-it-works.png
    Now-it-works.png
    203.7 KB · Views: 29

rmcard

Well Ralf thanks for all the effort, I have on way or access to a CREO program nor the knowledge to use it. Is there a chance I could get the repaired file from you?

rmcard

Hi Ralf, Sorry for not getting back sooner but I was out of the office all day. Thanks very much for taking the time to do this. I downloaded the file package and was able to open it up in GD with no problems.

Thanks so very much!

JST

Alibre Super User
This poses a question..... Why can some software packages open it correctly, and others fail? It's the same file.

Given deficiencies in the file, it seems that some packages are much more tolerant, or can at least be made to be so.

JST said:
This poses a question..... Why can some software packages open it correctly, and others fail? It's the same file....
The file in question is a surface entity file. GMD is a solids' modeling system. This is a "disconnect" inherent in the solid modeling approach.

JST

Alibre Super User
So you are saying that the packages which open it are simply able to accept that type portrayal?

Did not Catia, and "BobCAD" open it? Are they a dual sort of package? I thought both were solids based

JST said:
Did not Catia, and "BobCAD" open it? Are they a dual sort of package? I thought both were solids based
Catia was the surfacing CAD system developed (at European taxpayer expense) for the Airbus development project. It is not a solids modeler as meant by most of us in the U.S. That definition was made in 1996 and was one of the reasons I bailed out of ANSI.