What's new

Can't associate *.stp files with geomagic 2013

Running Win7 64 bit Geomagic 2013, I find i can no longer use the windows file extension association tool to map any file extension that is not exclusively designated as an Alibre design file type, example I cannot map *.stp or *.step files to automatically load using Geomagic 2013. Running as administrator doesn't help.

Anyone else seeing this (miss) behavior?

Scott

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Hi Scott,

Some users reported similar problems.

I have no problems at all.
Here are my steps:
- Uninstall V2012
- CCleaner -> Registry...
- Install V2013

It looks like there is a problem with an Registry entry / path:
V2012 - 64 bit
C:\Program Files\Alibre Design\Program\Alibre Design.exe

V2013 - 64 bit
C:\Program Files\Geomagic Design\Program\Alibre Design.exe

In your case:
- Uninstall V2013
- CCleaner -> Registry...
- Install V2013 again

Ralf

Alibre Super User
After cleaning up the registry with CCleaner...
*.stp -> Unknown application

Attachments

• After-Registry-clean.png
    After-Registry-clean.png
    46.9 KB · Views: 37

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Install V2013 again. (Admin)

Now you can go to:
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Default Programs\Set Associations -> Choose *.stp -> C:\Program Files\Geomagic Design\Program

Attachments

• Change_program-1.png
    Change_program-1.png
    29.5 KB · Views: 26

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
I just discovered a program for editing the file types and associated actions that works with newer Windows versions (since M$ removed the functionality in the jump to Windows 7) http://izt.name/apps/types/ I have installed it and looked it over and it looks good. I have not extensively tested it yet though.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Alternatively, RC on file and go to properties. Next to 'Opens with' is a button marked 'change', click on 'change'. Select application.

MKR

I had the same problem after install of 2013.
I just ran CCleaner and restarted PC. Now I can associate STP-files.

Thank you Ralf

/Michael

indesign

Alibre Super User
Since it is now determined this is not a XP only issue then maybe someone running a newer version of windows (I will see on my laptop since I have a registered install there) should report this as a bug.

BrianE.Evans

I finally got an email from support this morning, they know about this, and they say it will be fixed in the next update. in the meantime they gave me a link to a website http://windowsxp.mvps.org/openwithadd.htm they say that this openwithadd utilitly can be used they say" find the openwithadd.zip file and run it" locate the application that you want to add to the open with dialog.
I will try this and get back to you . the first thing I am going to try is removing all of Geomagic 2013 and cleaning the registry.

Boy isn't this fun whoopeee.
Brian.

BrianE.Evans

Well I tried the program Geomagic supplied and even though I could register the exe file. I still could not get it to appear in the list of applications.
and most definitely could not get it into the list of default programs. I guess until they get it sorted out I will have to open all of my DWG and DXF files through Geomagic instead of just double clicking on a file in a folder.
Brian.

indesign

Alibre Super User
indesign said:
OK...I found this to be a registry issue with the new install on XP. Someone could open a support ticket but officially they don't support XP any longer. There are several locations in the registry where the file path is incorrect and causes Alibre to not show on XP in the list of files to 'Open With'. The main one is probably

here
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\alibre design.exe]
with two sub keys having incorrect paths.

However there are a couple others so I attached the registry exports that work correctly. (zipped)

see original post for registry fix for XP

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16165&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=registry&start=45

jhiker

Alibre Super User
Did this ever get resolved satisfactorily?
My STP files have somehow become associated with Adobe Reader and I can't associate Geomagic Design (.exe) with them, no matter how I try.
I go through the 'Choose the program you want to use...' thing, navigate to Geomagic Design.exe but it doesn't pick it up.
This is a windows/registry issue, is it not - or perhaps a bad installer?
It's a bit of a nuisance.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Jeff I resolved it on XP by the registry tweak above. It looks like registry key for the association to an Alibre named version was not removed when updating to Geomagic branded - the key left behind referred to something that no longer exists causing the inability to re-designate the association.

Not sure if that helps you with Acrobat though...

fabcadmz

I had the same problem you are having.
In the attached thread there is an attachment by Dave H "default programs editor" this worked perfectly to re-associate .stp files to Geomagic.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16165
My computer is Windows 7 SP1

cherkey

Hello all,

I had to rename Geomagic Design.exe to GeomagicDesign.exe - removing the space between Geomagic and Design. I was then able to associate .stp files as directed.

Regards,

jhiker

Alibre Super User
fabcadmz said:
I had the same problem you are having.
In the attached thread there is an attachment by Dave H "default programs editor" this worked perfectly to re-associate .stp files to Geomagic.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16165
My computer is Windows 7 SP1

Yeah - I just tried that little program and it appears to have done the trick :)

dtasker

I have had this problem every time there is a new version. I talked to Geomagic support and was told to try a program called openwithadd.exe which can be found on the internet. It has fixed the problem with Geomagic Design not showing up in the open with list. I had to use it to get the .sat and .stp files to open when you click on the file.

Go to http://windowsxp.mvps.org/openwithadd.htm or do a search for openwithadd. It's a 2007 program and says for Vista but I have used it on Windows 7 and Windows 8.1

BrianE.Evans

I recently updated to V16.0,2 16496 64 bit And this old problem of not being able to associate files in the default programs promptly resurfaced . Support had said this was going to be fixed in the next version when I complained about it in the previous version.
In the meantime their fix of going to http://windowsxp.mvps.org/openwithadd.htm has not worked either , there has got to be another corrupt file path I have not found yet
I did manage to get micro soft to find the whole download folder and post that. when all I wanted was the EXE. file .
Has anybody got a canned fix for this problem. Just to make things worse I deleted the whole program and cleaned the registry then when I went to Geomagic to reload the program, all I could get was the previous version, So I had to reload my backup file which of course has the bugs.