What's new

Can't copy and paste text.

tgarson

I have created a front panel in V24 with a fair amount of text. I want to move some of it around, which I can do by dragging with the mouse. Good so far.
However, I want to copy and paste some of it and that does not work. Every way I try to select the text line does not result in any text placed in the buffer. If I select an area that included the text and reference lines used to help align the text, I get the reference lines copied and pasted but not the text.

This is not exploded text. Exploded text copy and paste works as expeced. After all, exploded text is just a lot of 2D graphics. (In 2D sketch mode)

I also wanted to copy text from that panel to a sketch in another previously modeled part that needs to bear the same nomenclature. i couldn't figure out how to do this either.

I can't say that I ever tried to do any of this with an earlier version of ALibre. Maybe it's never worked.

I really don't want to go through some convoluted process involving exporting and importing different font image formats, using Adobe, text recognition, etc.

This should be a most elementary ability, available from withing the Alibre environment.

dwc

Alibre Super User
If memory serves me right you need to edit the text. In the edit text window you can copy, etc., but not directly in the sketch.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
To save as a catalog feature you need to explode the text first. Eliminates any editing later but if the text is not going to be changed or edited it probably doesn't matter.

Ken226

Alibre Super User
I remember complaining about this back when I first got Alibre last year, V23.

You have to explode text figures to allow the copy/paste functionality. I settled on doing all of my text manipulating in a drawing, then saving as a custom symbol. Custom symbols can be copied from drawings and pasted into a sketch.

It triggers a warning, but I've never had any trouble extruding from pasted custom symbols. It doesn't seem to work with the new project or wrap features though. They prefer symbols and text be exploded first.

Attachments

• 1654969286389.png
    1654969286389.png
    338 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

tgarson

Try saving the feature or sketch the text is on to a catalogue.
A good suggestion, especially as I was not familiar with the Catalog. Unfortunately saving text in this fashion is not supported, unless it has been exploded.
On the other hand, since I need to have the text exploded for engraving anyway, this still saves me a bunch of time and effort.
Thanks.