What's new

Can't figure out placement in Assembly

salex

I'm using Alibre Atom 3D. I included my simple test design in which there is a base part and a second part consisting of 4 "pegs." I have successfully constrained the pegs to sit on top of the base. Now I'd like to place the pegs. If you view the base face on as it is when loaded I would like to place the center of the lower left peg at x=2mm and y=2mm. I can't see how to do that.

Attachments

• MC_Assy.AD_ASM
    220.5 KB · Views: 3

albie0803

Alibre Super User
You need to upload the parts as well. An assembly doesn't include them, it just references them. Better still, see if Atom includes create PKG in the file menu. Doing that from the assembly will pack the parts as well into one file that you can upload.

JST

Alibre Super User
You use align, and specify an offset. In this case, align the peg with a side of the plate (x), offsetting by 2mm, then repeat using the other plate side (y).

You will want probably to first either align the plate sides to the xyz planes, or else "anchor" it. You will also want to align one of the other pins vs a side of the plate, to finally constrain it against the pin array pivoting (presumably also at 2mm offset).

I did not anchor or constrain the plate.

Attachments

• MC_Assy.AD_PKG
    51.5 KB · Views: 3

salex

Excellent. I got it. I didn't realize I could align the wall of a cylinder with a planar surface. Thank you!

JST

Alibre Super User
When you select the surface of a cylinder (inside or outside), you are really selecting the center axis. If you want to align to the OD or ID, you select an edge. Works for measuring also.

Last edited: