What's new

Can't find problem element

salex

In the attached drawing when I try to extrude boss I get the error "open or overlapping figures are not supported." Normally I can zoom way in and follow the perimeter until I locate the item causing the problem. This time I can't see anything except there are three points along the centerline that are outside my figure. If I move them it distorts the figure. I can't delete them. Are they the cause of my problem? What are they and why can't I remove them?

Attachments

• NodeBridge2.AD_PRT
    250 KB · Views: 4

salex

upload_2020-7-17_13-28-10.png

By moving the center line point indicated I discovered the problem. I get the extra point indicated on the right. Before moving the centerline point these are superimposed. But I can't figure out how to eliminate one of them.

idslk

Alibre Super User
Hello Salex,

upload_2020-7-17_21-31-9.png

The three dots on the axis are centerpoints of sketch radii.

Edit your scetch.

To get your sktech "repaired" press "Analyze"

upload_2020-7-17_21-33-23.png

and a second time "Analyze"

upload_2020-7-17_21-34-28.png

then on "Open Loop"

upload_2020-7-17_21-35-15.png

and then on "Heal", then "Close" and then close your sketch and your sketch sould be ok and you'll get your extrude.

upload_2020-7-17_21-37-52.png

Btw.: Overall, the sketch is completely unconstraint. That isn't good for a stable design...

Regards
Stefan

salex

OK. I deleted the inner arc segment and put the centerline point back where it belonged. Then I redrew the arc. This almost corrected things. Turns out one of the endpoints on the arc at that point wasn't properly connected which I could see by zooming in. So now I'm OK but still confused about why I can't delete certain points when there are no constraints shown.

salex

Thanks Stefan. The problem is I can only afford Atom3D which is missing some of those neat tools. But I am appreciative of what I have since it's a pretty powerful tool anyway. I figured the points were sketch radii but I only drew two arcs so couldn't figure out why there were three. Of course I drew ellipses so that would explain it I guess. If I could delete a point and the associated segment would go away I would have figured that out quicker.

idslk

Alibre Super User
If you do have a spline tool in Atom, you can do this also as appended...

Attachments

• NodeBridge2_spline.AD_PRT
    339.5 KB · Views: 4

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
When working with ellipses and elliptical arcs just be aware of the points needed to create them. You can also dimension between the center point and the radius points to fully define the geometry.
Sketch features.png

salex

I can't find a spline tool. If anyone knows how to achieve that in Atom3D that would be really nice!

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
There are a lot of tutorials on the Alibre web site and also on YouTube. You can, to some extent, use tutorials for Alibre Design for Atom 3D. Just be aware of the tools that AD has and Atom doesn't.