What's new

Can't insert existing BoM into Assembly drawing

M00m137

Apologies if this is answered somewhere, but... I have an assembly of maybe 25 parts. I've already created a BoM for it in Alibre, and now I'm putting the assembly drawing together... but I can't insert the existing BoM into the assembly drawing. I click on "Insert BoM", go through the dialogue box, press "OK"... and nothing happens. Same thing occurs if I try to Link to the existing BoM. After I'd gone through this, I checked whether it had worked by trying to insert Callouts, but I got an error message telling me I should link to a BoM first, so it clearly hasn't done anything.

Any suggestions?

I should also add, I can attach a new BoM, that seems to work. But I've already got a BoM file in place, so I want to use that one. And I can't.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
It should work - it could be some minor silly in your workflow, or the existing BoM file could be damaged.

It might be simplest to just create a new BoM - it takes hardly any time. You can submit the files to support if you'd like to have it checked out.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Just for interest's sake you could start a new drawing a try insert the BOM into that. If it works then it could there's something wrong with the original drawing file (can happen). If not then it might just be your workflow or the BOM itself.

M00m137

I recreated the BoM in the end. But... this was one of four very similar drawings that I had to do, based on two configurations of two assemblies. The other three worked fine with the existing BoMs. Odd. My guess is some combination of checked-out/not-checked-out/checked-out-but-not-open was to blame... or some minor corruption issue, as you said.
Good to know it's not completely broken, anyway ;)