What's new

Can't install.

sz0k30

This seems to happen to me with about the last 2 or 3 updates. The latest Alibre version downloads, but WILL NOT install. I keep getting the attached error message.

upload_2017-12-6_16-16-42.png

For some reason Alibre doesn't recognize me as the administrator.

I an the ONE & ONLY USER on my computer - I AM the administrator.

About a 2 year old computer with windows 10.

Alibre is the only program giving me this issue.

I have wasted too many hours trying to get it to work, and when I have finally got it, it was more by accident then by design.

In previous attempts, support just had guesses and no answers.

HELP

dwc

Alibre Super User
Hi sk,
If you are administrator or not depends on how you are logged in, not on if you are the only user.
I am also the only user on my compi, have however 2 log-ins, one as admin and one as user.
Be sure you are logged in as administrator, it is very possible you are not.
Don

BobSchaefer

My thoughts on this would be that Alibre is probably not setting the "Requires Admin Permissions" setting correctly and thus the installer doesn't know that it needs admin permissions and won't ask to elevate to get them. Since you're running on Windows 10, even if your login has admin permissions, it acts as a normal user until something specifically asks for the admin permissions or you right click and select "Run as Admin".

Hope this helps clear things up!

JST

Alibre Super User
Odd.

I totally forgot to run as administrator, but the installs still ran fine. OTHER things I have had to do that for, however.

sz0k30

I have tried to right click and "Run as Admin" and still wouldn't install. This problem has happened the last couple of upgrades. What I'm thinking is that when I try do download the latest version I do not do an uninstall first, I let the new download handle that, and that is the problem. What I finally wound up doing is an uninstall, a shut down & reboot & then a clean download & install. And that appears to work.

JST

Alibre Super User
I did not uninstall anything, and as far as I can see nothing was an issue. The install software handled everything perfectly.

dwc

Alibre Super User
I did not uninstall anything, and as far as I can see nothing was an issue. The install software handled everything perfectly.
For me AD has always installed on top of the old version, no uninstall, without a hitch... at least since about V12.
But good that by going that route you were able to get a good install.
Have fun,
Don

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Has this been escalated to Support? If not it should have been. If yes, then I would have expected it solved pretty quick. Alibre Support is good, after all.

Unlike EA/Bioware support. They are not good.

sz0k30

Yes, the first time this happened, I think 2 versions ago. I did communicate with Support with both emails (& I emailed them a screen shot of the error message) and Live Chat. They had no ideas and eventually I solved the problem thru trial & error.

SZ -- Every "install problem" I have had in the past few years has been my desire to not have anything in the "Start Menu" ("Desktop" only) By allowing it to create a "Start Menu shortcut" (that I can delete immediately after the "update" is done) every thing comes out right. ???

bigseb

Alibre Super User
SZ -- Every "install problem" I have had in the past few years has been my desire to not have anything in the "Start Menu" ("Desktop" only) By allowing it to create a "Start Menu shortcut" (that I can delete immediately after the "update" is done) every thing comes out right. ???
I recall a few others having that issue too. If you let the default install run then it worked but unchecking the start menu/desktop icon and it wouldn't.

nvanlaar

FYI - I noticed on the latest update that I walked away and missed the elevate privileges prompt and then the install hung. I couldn't cancel and it would complete. I had to force quit the install. The install should self cancel if it does not receive proper permissions.

JST

Alibre Super User
If you do not start with admin privileges, Win 7 simply asks if you want to do whatever it is, and if you say "yes", it does, no drama.