What's new

Can't save my model.

Afternoon all,
AD seems to have serious problems with text extruded on models. I've had probs since it was introduced.
Now it makes my models and assemblies almost un-usable until I suppress the text.
I have just edited text on a panel and now I can't save the changes. I get the attached error message. AD is using over 1.4Gb of RAM. I have 4Gb, but it's Win7 32 bit.
Any way to recover this?
Thanks,

Attachments

• Save Error.JPG
    Save Error.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 111
  • AD Memory.JPG
    AD Memory.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 85

dwc

Alibre Super User
In my experience the problem is the complexity of the text outlines.
That slows AD down very much. I have not had out of memory errors, but I assume that is related.
Are you using the text tool or importing the text?
I find that text outlines made with other utilities and imported to AD are often waaay too complicated.
It is necessary to simplify them before importing.
In all the cases I have had big slowdowns simplifying the outline has worked without changing the quality of the text.
I hope this helps,
Don

keyepitts

I haven't seen that exact error notice before, can you try exporting your model and posting it here so that others can try to duplicate the error? It seems to me that the last time I saw an "insufficient disk space or permissions error", it was because I had an illegal character in the file name.

Hi Don,
It is AD's own text tool. I've changed the curve smoothness down to 8.
Maybe 2012 will fix it!!!

keyepitts, I've zipped the panel and attached it.

Ta,
Walter

Attachments

• 390-171 390PH front panel details.zip
    3.9 MB · Views: 63

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
The text tool just tries to use whatever fonts are on your PC - many fonts are really badly designed (overlaps, intersections etc) - which will cause huge problems for Alibre. Often you will find that some letters are OK, but others in the same font cause problems.

Careful choice of font may help, another option is to use a font editor to 'tidy up' the definition files.

keyepitts

I downloaded the part and opened it in the 2012 Beta, a couple of the booleaned parts were missing from the file, which threw up some errors, but I don't think that matters to the problem. Extrusion 13 was showing as "failed" (in Italics), checking status said it was an "unknown error". I edited the extrusion and changed the extrusion distance from ".05mm" to ".1", and regenerated, and it fixed the failed extrusion, then I was able to save normally. As David says, fonts can be an issue. If I have a chance, I'll try opening it in 2011 later and se if there's any difference.

I have also edited the extrusion distance, then saved it, but when I opened it again there was the italicised extrusion again.
My main problem is that although I can suppress the text in the model, I need it for the 2D drawing for silk-screen or engraving details.
Also, I usually need to render my assemblies for customers to see, so again, need the text active.
Rendering with Keyshot is yet another problem......

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Can you please export your Alibre part -> Alibre *.stp.
Because there are two missing boolean parts.

Btw.: Is your W:\ a network or an external hard drive?

Attachments

• Missing-bool-parts.png
    Missing-bool-parts.png
    10 KB · Views: 756
Ralf, I've attached the STP file although the studs shouldn't make any difference.
It actually took over 5 minutes to export it.
I've had to zip the file as it was over 13Mb.

I did finally manage a 'work around' to saving my file. I kept hitting the save and then cancelling the error message until AD got fed up and crashed. I then started AD up again and it recovered the crashed file, then allowed me to save it.
So it isn't all useless....
Regards
Walter

Attachments

• 390-171 390PH front panel details (2).zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 61

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Walter,

Please download and save the att. Alibre *.stp file in a new ( empty) folder.
Import ...and I hope you can understand what I have done. :)

Here is a quick screenshot:

Attachments

• New_Front-Panel_Details.zip
    2.7 MB · Views: 63
  • New-_Front_Panel-Detail.139.jpg
    New-_Front_Panel-Detail.139.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 85
Good morning and thanks for the model Ralf.
I did see how it was assembled. Main problem was that when I tried to look at the sketches of on a couple of the text groups, AD threw a wobbly and closed. I also noticed that the 'FINDLAY IRVINE' group of text was exploded. Was this delberate or something the STP translator does?

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Hi Walter,

I think the main problem is:
- The most of your "text groups" are within a (one) single sketch,
this is a performance "Killer".
A better performance you can achieve:
- Small "text group" -> Extrude Boss
- Next small "text group" -> Extrude Boss
- Next small "text group" -> Extrude Boss

I divided your text/text groups into some "parts" for an assembly.
The advantage is:
- Better performance,
- For changing/editing you need not open the entire assembly, but only a part,
- Exporting to *.bip -> KeyShot, you can assign to each part a different material/color.

To re-assemble your modell, I had to explode your texts / text groups, for easy copy & pasting.

I also recommend saving all of your parts / assemblies on your local computer/harddrive.

I hope you can understand my Google-English. :)

Hi Ralf,
I have another panel which I did as small groups of text, but didn't notice any improvement in performance.

The problem with saving locally is that I share the models and drawings with others on the network, so they wouldn't be able to access the complete model easily.

I'll have to hope that text is enhanced in 2012, and pray for a newer, faster PC from my boss.

And, I have to say, your English, Google or otherwise, is perfectly adequate for getting your point over. It is also 100% better than my foreign language skills. :oops:

Thanks again
Walter

Ralf

Alibre Super User
In addition to David's suggestion. :)

Walter, please take a look, I have saved your file to my local harddrive, and I have no performance problems.
I can open in ~10 seconds your Alibre part file.

My tec specs in this case are:
Win 7 - 64 bit
AD 2011 - 64 bit
i7 CPU @ 3.33 GHz