What's new

Catalog features with multiple features and reference entities

MDG

I find catalog features and parts library very useful for time reduction during design process. Is there any way in Alibre so that we can create a multiple entity catalog item rather than single feature catalog? As an example, actually I can not see how to safe in catalog features an extrusion followed by a reference plane creation followed by a revolution so that this three elements can be all together used in several new models by just placing the first element feature asociated to some plane and aligned to it as the single feature catalogue does. Thanks in advance.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
What kind of feature do you want to create?
Catalog features are a single feature item. If you want to create a more complex feature you could try creating a part that could be used as a Boolean Subtract. Be aware that you need Pro or Expert in order to use Booleans.

MDG

What kind of feature do you want to create?
Catalog features are a single feature item. If you want to create a more complex feature you could try creating a part that could be used as a Boolean Subtract. Be aware that you need Pro or Expert in order to use Booleans.
Thanks for replying. We use Booleans regularly as a solution for that but is less practical than catalogue. I will suggest as a new feature to extend the catalog features to allow not only single feature but multiple features and reference entities. In essence is the option of import a part architecture already done in another new part which I think is very useful.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
We use Booleans regularly as a solution for that but is less practical than catalogue.
How do you mean? Isn't having multiple features in one Boolean step better for consistency of design? Or is it just the Boolean process?

MDG

How do you mean? Isn't having multiple features in one Boolean step better for consistency of design? Or is it just the Boolean process?i
I mean with booleans you have to edit the boolean parts each time and takes more time than having the features and references inside the part file directly with better parameters relation too.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I mean with booleans you have to edit the boolean parts each time
Perhaps you are not using them to their full potential. IF you have known features that you regularly use then create a part file that contains those features and save them. Then just use them without editing, hopefully the same way you would use a catalog feature, unless you are editing them for each use also.

I will agree that it would be useful to be able to access the features and EE parameters of the Boolean part from within the working model but with careful planning a "library" of parts can be created for most of your Boolean needs that don't need to be edited for each use. And you can also use configurations in the Boolean part for even more utility. Just bring in the part and place it, then change the config before accepting the Boolean.

If you can tell without any proprietary info what kind of features are you creating?