What's new

Chamfer preview vs. rendered is different

dmckee101

Alibre Super User
Anybody bored today? Would you like to try and validate what I'm seeing here?
I have a tapered hole through a disk and chamfered the smaller end of the taper. The chamfer preview looks like it should. Then I hit OK and it just goes weird. I know it can be worked around but that isn't my point. I did a 45 degree chamfer the resultant angle turned out to be 56.718 degree and at a glance it looks okay. But if I sent the file to a SLA vendor I wouldn't get back what I had spec'd.

The first jpg shows a cut-away of the final piece for clarity.
The example shows a Chamfer with 65 degree angle and 0.1" distance entered in the edit box.
The resultant chamfer measures 85.725 degrees.
(Oops cannot add another attachment, 3 is the maximum)
I'll put the AD_prt file in the next post.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 88
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 89
  • 1..jpg
    1..jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 80

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Hmmm - I've often wondered where the angle is measured from for a chamfer in AD. This convinces me that I definitely don't know where it is measured from! I suspect it's something to do with starting from a tapered hole, but I can't explain it or make the angles add up to anything sensible.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I would definitely get in touch with Alibre Support on this one. I seem to recall another issue similar to this quite a while ago where the preview did not match the final results. If I remember correctly, it got forwarded to development for review. They should be able to do the same for your part.

H.
v11.2

dmckee101

Alibre Super User
Yeah I've been talking to support. But you never really get them to say, "Oh yeah, I see that happening." So I that's why I'm asking my fellow users.

indesign

Alibre Super User
It does have to do with the tapered hole. For some reason it shows from the top edge and the distance is down but actually works from the hole and the distance is out.

In this case create the angle in your revolve sketch.

This also brings up onother option I wanted from way back. The ability to define the direction and surface the chamfer measures from. This way we could get what we are wanting not what is assumed by the programmer.

homecad

Solid Edge used to have this problem, it took a long time to get it sorted.
The work round we had was to use the countersink tool instead of the chamfer.
Works with Alibre Design too.

dmckee101

Alibre Super User
Yeah I already had a workaround figured out.
I was trying to get some independant confirmation of the effect.
Thanks everyone for responding.