What's new

Chamfer Problem

pc-6

A little help please.
Sketch one is a rectangular extrusion forming a box. The vertical corners are to be rounded and the bottom is to be chamfered. I am able to either chamfer the bottom or round the vertical corners, but not both. I have tried using the fillet tool and I have tried putting rounded corners on the sketch prior to extruding, neither way seems to make a diference.

I have attached a screen shot and the file.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Leif

Attachments

• Servo HS 5645MG.AD_PRT
    743 KB · Views: 15
  • Chamfer Problem.TIF
    247.2 KB · Views: 289

bigseb

Alibre Super User
It doesn't work because the chamfer is too large i.e. the edges would overlap at the current settings. Either increase the the fillet or decrease the chamfer.

Trice1

PC-6

I think your 'spinner increment' was set too large. You could not pick a smaller chamfer size without changing it in 'design properties'.

Attachments

• Servo_Fillet_Chamfer.jpg
    Servo_Fillet_Chamfer.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 15

pc-6

Thanks for the input

Changing the spinner setting did not help, as I was manually typing in the figures anyhow. I was finally able to put the chamfer on but it had to be undersized by 1/64 of an inch. This is unfortunate that Alibre can not perform this function properly.

Thanks once again for the help

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Leif,
If you absolutely need those dimensions for the chamfers then do one edge at a time. Turn off "Tangent Propagate" in the Chamfer dialog.

The downside is now you have four steps; the upside, you get the dimensions you want.

edit: You could also do the two sides in one step and then the two ends in another step.

Attachments

• Chamfered Manually.png
    Chamfered Manually.png
    39 KB · Views: 4
  • Servo HS 5645MG - 4 chamfers.AD_PRT
    757.5 KB · Views: 7