What's new

ChamferDDOperation: Operation(s) selected can not be patterned alone.

Stuart

I'm trying to do a circular pattern of a chamfer.

If I add all the edges to the chamfer operation it works, but when I try to pattern a single chamfer I get the error com.alibre.design.ops.ChamferDDOperation: Operation(s) selected can not be patterned alone.

What is this error trying to tell me?

upload_2020-6-12_18-58-30.png

-Stuart

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Patterning chamfers/fillets in Alibre has never worked. Usually it will if patterned along with a 'base' feature but not always. But never on their own.

Nick952

You could try adding the revolved chamfer (or chamfer, using the chamfer tool) earlier in the design, before the "round protruding parts" are added, so in effect building through / on the chamfer.

Last edited:

idslk

Alibre Super User
From my side:
1) general it would be lazy to be able to pattern a champfer :)
2) here particulary it would need only 3 more edges to select for the chamfers...
3) a revolve? If you have a part like that:
(would be nice to have the original...)
upload_2020-6-13_12-52-25.png
you may have a section view (if completely hollow) like that:
upload_2020-6-13_12-53-34.pngupload_2020-6-13_12-54-32.png
doing some thing to revolve? not so easy, if i don't overlooked something...

In my opinion:
If a change of design order is not possible the way 2 will be the easiest...

Regards
Stefan

Stuart

The part at this point is a shell and hollow as in Stephan's pic. The chamfer part needs to be solid, so I can't "cut" it before the shell operation.

A revolve or sweep To Next would be handy.

Stuart

I should add that there are currently 4 segments, but it's configurable which is mostly why I want to use a circular pattern.

Stuart

can you explain what in detail should be configurable?

I mean my design is configurable. There is a parameter that controls the number of "spokes". With a circular pattern, I could easily replicate the chamfer to match the number of spokes in each configuration.

Stuart

Here's a more close up view that shows the "angled ledge" that makes a sweep or revolve not work without the To Next option.

upload_2020-6-13_11-48-49.png

Hi Stuart -- Think about it. Were you cutting such a set of Fillets the vertical corners would have to be Filleted before the horizontal edges could be Filleted. More to the point a Filleting Cutter has a "minimum ID" that allows such a cutter to be ground and resharpened. You are asking for something that can only be "3D Printed" from exceptionally weak materials. -- Lew

Stuart

something that can only be "3D Printed"
It will only be 3D printed.

I have managed to simplify the design down to a single wedge. Then when I apply a circular topology pattern I get "PTRN_BAD_BUMP: the face or loop to which the pattern was applied is not part of a valid bump or hole (ext)" What's an example of what causes that?

Stuart

Ok, so topology pattern is the wrong thing to use.

I'm trying to select everything for a feature pattern. Does a Shell Operation not create a feature? I can't add it to the pattern list.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Tried modelling it is sections and then boolean uniting them into one part? Sometimes its the omly way to a really complex part.

Stuart

Trying really hard not to use boolean unite. You can't have a part configuration select the configuration of the boolean'd part. That's already giving me a headache in another part.