What's new

Changing Drawing Model Link - how?

We make many iterations of the same part with only minor changes to a few critical dimensions. I typically make the main model then do a save as when I create the next iteration. This is easy.

I want to make one drawing, save it. Then change its model link, and do a save as for the next iteration. The only way I have been able to figure this out is to temporarily move the model so it asks me to relink the model association then I can change it.

There has to be a way to do this and I am just missing it.

TIA!

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Make the drawing. Save ALL As from the Drawing. This will save a new set of all assemblies, parts,.. that are in that drawing. Then open those newly saved assemblies, parts,.. and edit them. The newly saved Drawing will update to any changes in the newly saved assemblies, parts,.. (Reproject Views may be needed)

Alexander

Inventor has this feature, you can simply change the linked part/assembly and all dimensions etc update.
I use it a lot and is very productive, would be nice feature for the future.

Make the drawing. Save ALL As from the Drawing. This will save a new set of all assemblies, parts,.. that are in that drawing. Then open those newly saved assemblies, parts,.. and edit them. The newly saved Drawing will update to any changes in the newly saved assemblies, parts,.. (Reproject Views may be needed)

This creates a whole new set of parts which is the problem, I only want to change the one part. Creating a whole copy of all the parts throws my document control into chaos.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
You can choose which items get changed and which are left as they are during the Save As.

So for your example, change drawing, top level assembly, and the part that you want to edit. Leave all the others 'as is'.

Correct, but how do I then copy the drawing to the new directory (obvious) and re-associate the drawing to the new part and have it pull the few minor dimensional changed.

Basically I want to save as the new part, then duplicate the drawing from the original in the directory with the new part, rename the drawing, re-associate that drawing to the new part, update, print, manufacture.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Do the Save As FROM THE DRAWING. Specify new name/location for Drawing, Assembly, & the new part. All done, leaving the originals also happy.

so do a save as for the drawing, and save it as the name of the new file ? This will break the association to the old drawing?

GIOV

Alibre Super User
Hi eric@velmex,
My experience in project management is in base of a linked spreadsheet.The part universal are in one place of files and the specific assemble and sub assembles are in other one so you are able to use the universal parts in many assembles and sub-assembles. Yo only need open the assemble from the spreadsheet and not directly from Alibre Design avoiding confusion. Is basic, I know, but help me a lot for my little company without sophisticate system. The spreadsheet is a big resource and is programmable with macros.(careful with this). You need save as the only assemble in a specific file without changing the link of the universal components parts. DavidJ is right with his advice too.
For me the software is a tool that need good management for better performance.The simple spreadsheet is a good resource plus a good items of materials in house developed.
I hope my little contribution help you.
Take care,
GIOV

Last edited:

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
so do a save as for the drawing, and save it as the name of the new file ? This will break the association to the old drawing?

NO it won't. Save As creates a NEW file for the items that you re-name - so in example above your old files would be left alone and still work; plus you would have 3 new files (1 drawing, 1 assembly, 1 new part) - edit the new part and the related assembly/drawing will update.