What's new

changing line weight

dkmc

changing line weight

......I change the line weight of 'continuous' from .010 to .030 and click apply... nothing happens. I exit and come back in and it's back to .010.
WHAT gives?

Oh....trying to do this in a Border Drawing....not a part drawing.....

TIA
dk

wathavy4

Alibre Super User

The editor dialog has a bug.
Unless you move your focus to other row, it does not change.

#I nearly forgotten about it. I am unhappy with it too. :evil:
#But live with it.... :D

dkmc

OK.......I change line weights in my Border drawing, then tell it to apply changes to BOTH (current drawing and system).

Then when I convert a Part Model to a Drawing, the line weights are NOT changed.....

Here is a quote from the Help files:
"If you change the pattern, visibility, color, or scale of a layer used in the drawing, all existing drawing items will be updated with the new settings"

It ain't happening......
What am I doing wrong??

Please don't say I have to change the default line weights EVERYtime I make a drawing......Shouldn't my changes stick as defaults in the border drawing?

dk

JordanCClark

Alibre Super User

Hi dk,

Does it do it with a saved template (one that you have set up and working)? Templates seem to be the way to go on other issues, so why not this one as well?

dkmc

By Template I assume you mean a Border Template?
That's what I am using, one that I have customized.
Doesn't work.

wathavy4

Alibre Super User

Just to make sure, the template made by your self, dk?
If the template is the one from Alibre it won't work.

scarr

Hi dkmc,
You're not doing anything wrong. I've run thru the same scenarios and I can get the color change to show and stick, but the line weight and scale changes only show up when I print the drawing.

dkmc

Well,
At this point I've spent hours where I should have spent 30 minutes, to make the required changes to my "A" and "B" size templates.
The most frustrating thing is that default font sizes for dimension text apparently can't be set to a default size in the template.
darn simple functions and features that -should- be a piece of cake to implement in any CAD drawing package...
I notice most any time I use Alibre, things that should take 5 minutes end up taking an hour, simply because 'stuff don't work like it's supposed to'...

BUT......now we have WORKSHOP.....to solve all your woodworking problems!

:roll:

scarr

All dimension text fonts, size, etc. will need to be designated in a new Dimension Style file and these can be saved with the template. This is how I created all of my drawing sheets from A-S3, one set with decimal and one set with fractional deminsion styles.

wathavy4

Alibre Super User

Steve, can you change the line weight for surface finishing symbols and datum rectangular lines?
I don't know if any of you have this issue, but I cannot make it thick enough to be printed. Just by rotate 180 it becomes even thinner, the surface finishing check mark becomes..... :?:

dkmc

ll dimension text fonts, size, etc. will need to be designated in a new Dimension Style file and these can be saved with the template.

I will give that a try........
Thanks!

dk

dkmc

MORE Frustrations! :evil:

I can't get the new custom styles to stick in the template.
Seems the default dimension styles prevail.....
I've tried everything I can think of to make this happen, but No luck.
Tried printing out the drawing if the chance is they ae changed but not showing up on the screen..nope.

What is the secret?

dk

scarr

1. First create your empty drawing (I know you've already done this, but it is step one).
2. Under Tools, select Dimension Styles (it will show Default)
3. Click New Dimension Style
4. Give your Dimension Style a Name and select Copy from Default
5. Change the parameters you wish to change.
6. Save it.
7.Go to the Properties tab under File
8.Under the Dimensions and Annotations Tab, select the Dimension Style (under Default Style) from the drop down list.
9. Under the Apply tab select The Current Document.
10. Save your drawing (give it a template name).
When you open the drawing it will have the Dimension Style you selected.
You can set up all your layers, line widths, scales and weights, colors, etc and they will go right along with your templated drawing.
Hope this helps.

scarr

Glad to lend a hand. It is kinda, sorta, mentioned in the manual - page 387-388, V10 manual on Dimension Styles. You still need to read between the lines as they say to figure out that you need to use both the Tools menu and the File menu to make it work. :D

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member

Maybe this should also be under tips & tricks - what other settings also have to be tackled this way? Seems there have been a lot of queries recently on getting template stuff to 'stick'...

kineoptics

Will this also, or is there another way, to make the part show up in a thicker line weight?

What I would like is the part lines to be heaviest, the hidden lines lighter, and the dimension lines and arrows the lightest.

Is there a way to do this?

csdcad

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong: I have made a border and title block (with different lineweights,) but when I start a new drawing with the template all lines display and print at the same lineweight. I also tried to make the border as a symbol, but that didn't work either.

mattslay

scarr gave a usable solution when you are only working with dimension style, but
Code:
if you use two or three or more dimension styles in your drawing, and you need to often use switch between different styles in the same drawing, it is not sensible to go through so much work just to change what style is going to be used for the next dimension. 

You have to place each dimension, which is placed at the current style, but you have to use right-click->properties, and select a new style if you want to choose one of your other pre-defined styles.  This is really crazy when you need to place many dimensions of varying decimal places or fractions, or some mix of each.

To compare with AutoCAD, it uses a drop-down box up in the top toolbar area to display the currnet style, select the current style, or choose a style to apply or use. It makes detailing very fast, as opposed to the way Alibre makes you open a dialog box just to change each dimension, or even more hoops to change the default.

I want an easy way to choose the current default style, and an easy way to apply a style. AutoCAD's drop-downs are about as easy of a UI solution as you can get.