What's new

Changing matl properties - density

jhiker

Alibre Super User
I'm using M-Files.
I'm using some downloaded third-party aluminium parts that have come in with a density of 10000Kg/cm^3 and I need to correct it on 50-60 parts.
So far I've been opening each model file and doing it through 'properties - material' and overwriting.
It works but it's tedious.

I tried altering the 'material' field on the metadata card and saving but it didn't allocate the correct/matching density once I'd opened the model file to check the properties - which surprised me.

Anybody know of a better way to do this?

BTW - it seems to me that Alibre is playing less well with M-Files these days. Recently I have been struggling to open large files. It gets a good way through loading the session and then Alibre will crash and close with no error message meanwhile the file remains 'checked-out' in M-Files. It's happening quite a lot lately.

Attachments

• Results.jpg
    Results.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 11
Jeff -- As somebody who has spent decades avoiding "file management systems" (such as "M-files") my personal level of ignorance as to your situation is quite high. Does not your "alibre_unicode_custom.mtl" dataset override M-files?

jhiker

Alibre Super User
Hi Lew,
Yes, I think it does. The problem here is these are third-party files (mainly aluminium components) and for some reason they had material density set at the wrong value, presumably when they were first modelled. I can easily change that by opening and editing then saving in Alibre but I was hoping to do it by editing the metadata card in M-Files which would have been much quicker.
Thanks,
Jeff

Hi Lew,
Yes, I think it does. The problem here is these are third-party files (mainly aluminium components) and for some reason they had material density set at the wrong value, presumably when they were first modelled. I can easily change that by opening and editing then saving in Alibre but I was hoping to do it by editing the metadata card in M-Files which would have been much quicker.
Thanks,
Jeff
Jeff -- I do not know how your hotkeys are laid out, but in my system, <Crtl><Enter> gets me into the File Properties menu/screen where I can change the Material properties reasonably easily (having a rather massive list of Materials from which to choose).