What's new

Chat with Support?

cclark440

Alibre Super User
Has anyone actually been able to "Chat" with support lately?
I have tried several times in the last couple of weeks, but always asked to leave a message.

Just wondering.

I posted an "issue" yesterday to through the website. I got an answer back this morning (I needed to update my ActiveX driver). Other "issues" are still pending. I suspect that we are seeing a no software release survives user interaction unscathed... aspect.

Amtech

I left a message twice for tech support to call me back on a reported incident. I'm still waiting........

MikeHenry

Alibre Super User
I'm due to renew maintenance for Expert soon - it's beginning to sound like that would be a waste of money, especially as there has been almost no official response here since GM 2013 was released. And apparently not much response in any other venue.

What's up? Are the TS support just swamped with post-release issues, has there been a reduction in the TS resources at Alibre since the GeoMagic merger and 3DS buyout, or is there some other reason?

wildwood58

yes I have talked with them, in fact they called me at home (I wasn't there) and then they called me on my cell phone. I did asked about the response delay....."snowed under" and understaffed

MikeHenry

Alibre Super User
Well, I have been contacted 3 times by GD staff in the last couple weeks - each time to sell me another year of maintenance.

Alright kiddies, let's get real. Alibre has always been a small company playing for the CAD/CAE/CAM markets that are too small to interest the big boys (Dassault, Siemans, Parametrics, & Autodesk). The big boys get significant support from their respective governments in terms of subsidies and tax advantages that are not available to the smaller operations. The price per seat (initial and maintenance) is significantly different between the big boys and Alibre/Geomagic. That means that Alibre/Geomagic has to do more with less. That is the reality.

1) Alibre has just been taken over and there are (I am sure) integration issues being dealt with adding a new layer of confusion to things.

2) Alibre/Geomagic has just made a significant set of changes & updates to their product set. That means, by definition, that a massive set of support issues have arisen that would, in normal times, stretch their customer support personnel greatly. Add in the integration issues to the mix and stretched significantly blossoms to an entirely new level.

Back in 1987, Generic Software released their Generic CADD Level 3 into a firestorm of hardware changes (SVGA, extended capacity hard drives, etc.) that made that release a major Charlie Foxtrot (for those of you old enough to remember the Vietnam war). It took them nearly four months to come to terms with the nature of that debacle. They became a much better company for that experience (at least until Autodesk bought them out and, after a management change at Autodesk, decided to squash them into the dirt).

The danger we face is that 3D Systems can decide that Alibre users are too much pain and frustration to deal with -- and history can repeat itself. I am not suggesting that we should not beat Alibre/Geomagic about the head & shoulders when necessary, only reminding people of Georges Santayana's dictum (Those who fail to learn the lessons of history are doomed to repeat them.)

keyepitts

I think it's troubling when a company that is touting itself as a "Professional" solution cannot even send an automated reply message to acknowledge that a support request has been received. I'm sure the recent acquisitions and integrations are causing internal issues, but, if Geomagic wants to keep its user base, it should be priority #! that internal affairs do not impact their core customers. On the other hand, if Geomagic wants to kill the product off....

MikeHenry

Alibre Super User
Lew_Merrick said:
(Those who fail to learn the lessons of history are doomed to repeat them.)

In my experience, tech support at Alibre has not been at all helpful in even attempting to resolve significant Alibre issues that I've had over the past couple of years, but at least they answered the phone, so to speak. Now they don't even seem to be doing that, unless those reporting that experience are a small minority. Even then, that still doesn't explain Max's absence. My maintenance dollars have, at most, bought me a new version or SP for each annual expenditure, almost no tech support, and cut me out of add-ins that were replaced by other products that I now have to pay extra for while new users get those add-ins for free. They now seem to be on 12+ month release cycles, which means the next $400 maintenance fee for my copy of Expert will likely buy me only a service patch at best.

What sort of lesson should be drawn from that history?

keyepitts said:
I think it's troubling when a company that is touting itself as a "Professional" solution cannot even send an automated reply message to acknowledge that a support request has been received. I'm sure the recent acquisitions and integrations are causing internal issues, but, if Geomagic wants to keep its user base, it should be priority #! that internal affairs do not impact their core customers. On the other hand, if Geomagic wants to kill the product off....
Funny, I always get a We have received your request acknowledgement e-mail.

The old Generic Software company was located less than 5 miles from my home/office. The tech support people there got in the habits of (A) calling me up to blow off steam after dealing with a, What do you mean RTFM? customer and (B) stopping by for an after work beer & BS session when management had their head firmly inserted into the aft-most orifice. This is not a new condition...

voxelman

cclark440 said:
Has anyone actually been able to "Chat" with support lately?
I have tried several times in the last couple of weeks, but always asked to leave a message.

Just wondering.

Haven't had any telephone support. All calls have been going to voice mail. I've made two requests for license key changes that took over 24 hours to complete. I have one outstanding bug report for an issue with drawing updates changing view orientations that was updated by me on 6/17 with requested supporting data. This type of issue usually takes longer to resolve.

Christina Schwenkler is the name that I've been seeing on the license key updates. A new one to me.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that what we're seeing are growing pains.

Dave Sohlstrom said:
I checked and Max posted last on May 28 and Ryan on March 22. Makes you wonder if they are still with the company.
I spoke with Ryan a week ago. I have exchanged e-mail with Max a couple of times in the past month. I suspect, but do not know, that they are being driven from pillar to post between the GD-2013 release and a reorganization driven by the Geomagic re-branding. I admit that, as an old Generic CADD users who had to stand by and watch in horror as Cary Fulbright and his goon squad dismembered and destroyed the Generic Software brand (under Carol Bartz's direction), it is hard to not fear the conditions I am seeing with respect to Alibre/3D Systems as deja vu...

I do hope that my fears are misplaced. But, as I have said numerous times here in the forums, If not Alibre/3D Systems, then who can we turn to?

Dave H

Lew_Merrick said:
Dave Sohlstrom said:
I checked and Max posted last on May 28 and Ryan on March 22. Makes you wonder if they are still with the company.
I spoke with Ryan a week ago. I have exchanged e-mail with Max a couple of times in the past month. I suspect, but do not know, that they are being driven from pillar to post between the GD-2013 release and a reorganization driven by the Geomagic re-branding. I admit that, as an old Generic CADD users who had to stand by and watch in horror as Cary Fulbright and his goon squad dismembered and destroyed the Generic Software brand (under Carol Bartz's direction), it is hard to not fear the conditions I am seeing with respect to Alibre/3D Systems as deja vu...

I do hope that my fears are misplaced. But, as I have said numerous times here in the forums, If not Alibre/3D Systems, then who can we turn to?

I too, was a devoted Ceneric CADD user in those days and hated seeing what Autodesk did to them. I'm with you Lew, this is beginning to feel eerily familiar and sickening. I hope I am way off base. But....

swertel

Alibre Super User
I envision the Alibre we knew it is short lived. That includes the company as well as the product.

I think Geo Design will make some serious advances in the next couple years, but not in areas that strengthen its core abilities and current user base. I foresee Geo Design focusing more on integrating with the existing Geomagic suite of products and allowing for creation of geometry to fill the gap between scanning and 3D printing. I don't expect to see much improvement in surface modeling (other Geomagic software already has that strength), assembly modeling (don't need it when scanning parts), or drawings (because I don't 3D print a 2D drawing).

If reverse engineering (scanning) or 3D printing are not your niche, then I would wager the time is now to start looking for a replacement. I renewed my subscription for one more year and bought a seat of "other cad" just because I'm hoping for new functionality from Geo Design that will be beneficial to me but also have to maintain productivity. It may even be revolutionary to the industry. Maintaining subscription is less expensive than having to re-buy-into the software. The next release will be the telling sign for me. Even more importantly, if Geo Design goes more than 12 months without a major release, I know not to bother with maintenance.

indesign

Alibre Super User
Actually generic cadd was more of a purchase to destroy it (cull the competition) but I don't see that here. They are hard at work making over Alibre to Geomagic. As for tech support well Max has already told us that they are swamped with new things and they are just trying to keep up. My hope (crossing fingers) is that Geomagic is going to add some of that magic of theirs to the 3D package we have. They are a top of the line company when it comes to surface handling and it would be a great beneficent to our software if they could get it going in the direction to add more features (or at least purchased options). My fear is the cost will be driven up in the process. If they did not intend to hang on to the software they probably would not have gone through the trouble it took to re-brand it. And the feedback so far has been looking like new features (hopefully bug fixes too).