What's new

Checking-in files that were checked-out by a different user

I'm using AD 12.1 and M-Files 6. My motherboard failed, and it was old enough to where I couldn't replace it but had to upgrade. Fortunately, the Raid-1 mirror was totally intact and could be moved to the new PC without any problem. I installed AD and M-Files on the new system disk, and successfully attached the old vault on the old mirror to the new installation of M-Files.

It's only me working here, and I often don't check-in files very often. I've now found the switch that checks-in files immediately, but the horse is already out of the barn. Here's the problem:

All my files were checked out by "PC1\David". On my new system, my userid is "PC2\David". PC2\David cannot check in files that were checked out by PC1\David.

I stand to lose a good deal of work that is apparently stored in temporary files, ready to be checked-in. Please, someone tell me what to do! :cry:

Thanks very much for the help!
David

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
If you have admin privilege within the Vault, you can undo the check-out ; that still looses the changes since the previous version.

I suggest that you temporarily alter you M-Files client to log in as a specific windows user, rather than current windows user - that might let you use the old ID, and hence allow you to check things in.

You could also consider changing the login method for your old ID to 'M-Files user' and set up a username and password via the M-Files server Administrator.

Once you've got the files checked in, you might want to rationalise the user accounts within M-Files.

DavidJ,

Many thanks for your kind reply! Taking your suggestions, I have worked through to a success; I'm very glad to say that I ended up losing no data at all.

To recap the situation: I had a motherboard fail, all the data on the disk drive was intact. I had a single-computer installation of M-Files, typical of an Alibre install, with the Client and Server on the same machine.

1. I changed the name of the new computer (the netbios name) to the name of old, broken computer.
2. I made sure my login user name on the new computer was the same as the one on the old, broken computer.
3. I uninstalled M-Files. (I had installed it on the new computer.)
4. Copy all files from the OLD disk's \Program Files\M-Files directory over to the NEW disk's installation directory. Make sure you have the switch set to copy hidden and system files.
5. Install M-Files onto the NEW disk.
6. Open the M-Files Server Administrator program, highlight "Document Vaults" on the left-hand pane, and click on "Attach Document Vault" in the right-hand pane. Open an explorer, and go to C:\Program Files\M-Files\Server Vaults. There will be two subdirectories there, both with long cryptic names. The installation procedure will have created one of the subdirectories with the current date and time stamped on it. This is a new, empty vault: it is NOT the one you want to select. The one you want is the other subdirectory. Copy it's name by starting to rename it and then ^C and <enter>, then go back to the Server Administrator program and in the "Attach Document Vault" window that's already open: paste the long cryptic file name, and hit OK.
7. On the left-hand pane, under the newly attached vault, select Users. Make sure that your user name is included on the list. By default, I think it will always be the only name on the user list for a newly attached vault, but check to make sure.
8. Open the M-Files Client Settings Program (right-click the M icon in the system tray)
9. Add the newly-attached vault
10. Open M-files, go to the category: "Checked Out to Me", highlight all the files (^A), and select "Check in".

Thank you again for the help! I hope this information is useful to someone else.

David