What's new

Circular dimention options, DIAMETER not radius

dkmc

Circular dimention options, DIAMETER not radius

I would like the option (in Dimention Properties/Lines & Arrows/circular dimention options) to dimention a diameter with an outside leader and arrow
(just like the Radial choice, but reads Diameter NOT radius)
It's the cleanest way to call a diameter with least use of drawing space.

dan k

moyesboy

Alibre Super User

you can do this
Select the diameter dimension,right click properties.
Here you initially need to uncheck style to access the grey items, but probably you can create a new radial diameter style...I haven't looked into dim styles yet (new in 9.1).
In the lines and arrows tab you will find circular dimension options bottom left.
Here you can select radial (but then you get a radius dimension) or diameter. Now you get arrows both side of your circle. However you can also suppress the second dimension line by checking the appropriate box on the right in the same tab.

It 9.0 I had problems with these reverting to normal diameter dims - but it looks like they fixed it in v9.1 - it would be nice if they sent you a message to say when the things that were escalated to dev were fixed!
Anyway -keep an eye out to see if that problem reoccurs. Could be that when a part is edited the dim reverts.

Dimension styles should make this a lot easier to apply.

dkmc

Moyesboy,

You're describing things differently than what I see on my install.

Select the diameter dimension,right click properties.
Here you initially need to uncheck style to access the grey items,
Not in my version (9.1.0.9333 Pro)
There is no 'style' checkbox.......

but probably you can create a new radial diameter style...I haven't looked into dim styles yet (new in 9.1).
In the lines and arrows tab you will find circular dimension options bottom left. Here you can select radial (but then you get a radius dimension) or
diameter.
Yes, radius but no option for diameter!

Now you get arrows both side of your circle.
No! Just a arrow and leader line to the Radius value

However you can also suppress the second dimension line by checking the appropriate box on the right in the same tab.

I tried checking and unchecking the suppression boxes, there is no second line........
:?:

Is there a later Rev I need to install?

dan k

MilesH

Alibre Super User

Dan,

If you choose "Circular" combined with "Outside extension lines" doesn't this give you what you want? Ok, there are 2 arrows, but.....

dkmc

Yes!!

Circular/ Outside extension lines/ Suppress Dimension line 2
(I finally spelt Dimension correctly) :?

Seems this would be less confusing if it was listed as Diameter not "Circular" as we normally refer to the outside of round parts as the Diameter not the Circular......?? But hey, I'm happy now! :lol:

Thanks Guys!
:wink:

MilesH

Alibre Super User
Re:

dkmc said:
Yes!!

Circular/ Outside extension lines/ Suppress Dimension line 2
(I finally spelt Dimension correctly) :?

Seems this would be less confusing if it was listed as Diameter not "Circular" as we normally refer to the outside of round parts as the Diameter not the Circular......?? But hey, I'm happy now! :lol:

Thanks Guys!
:wink:

Hehe.... extension too, now. :wink:

dkmc

Oh but........
This can't be set as a global default??
I have to change each Diameter dimension every time?

:x

MilesH

Alibre Super User

For Drawings - Tools | Dimension Styles.

You can save a new template, too.

For Part Sketches there doesn't seem to be a way - the "outside extension lines option" isn't available when you access Properties from the File menu............ :cry:

dkmc

For Part Sketches there doesn't seem to be a way - the "outside extension lines option" isn't available when you access Properties from the File menu.

Yes I see that......
But you still have to check extension line suppression EVERY TIME in Drawing also.
Another request from me for 'elementary functionality' ......
This is a time saving issue, fewer mouse clicks, less time spent entering data more than once.

dk

dkmc

I wonder, could these be service pack addressable issues, or more complicated to implement than that.......??

dk