What's new

Circular Pattern: editing of master feature does not update/change copied figures

ReedMikel

I'm pretty new to Atom3D. Just wondering - when in Sketch mode and you use Circular Pattern tool to create any number of copies of a master figure - if you later edit that master figure, the copied figures do not adjust/change to reflect whatever change you just made to the master figure. e..g say I am designing a gear with 200 teeth - the Circular Pattern tool makes a simple job of it (just create the master figure/shape, then pattern it). BUT, if you later need to edit that master figure (let's say the gear tooth needed a tweak to its size) - the patterned copies do not change to match whatever edit you did to the master. In this case, it seems one has to do multiple selects of the copied teeth and delete them - then do another Circular Pattern operation on the edited master figure... BTW I'm calling it "master", as I don't know what its technically called in Atom3d (maybe source?)...

I'm guessing there is no option to link the master and all the copies?

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Hi RedMikel,

3D Features over 2D Sketches

With other words, create ONE 2D Sketch -> Extrude Boss/Cut ...-> 3D Feature pattern -> Circular or Linear.
Now you can edit the number of patterns (Instances) as you like.

ReedMikel

Hi RedMikel,

3D Features over 2D Sketches

With other words, create ONE 2D Sketch -> Extrude Boss/Cut ...-> 3D Feature pattern -> Circular or Linear.
I guess I'm too new to Atom3D, as I don't understand your advice.

In my case I'm actually designing a rubber tire for a robot car, then 3D printing (TPU filament). I have an extruded circle that is the base wheel. I then right-clicked on the face and Activate 2D Sketch. That's where I draw a small rectangle to represent one notch on the circumference of the wheel. I then use Circular Pattern to reproduce however many notches I want for my wheel/tire. I Save and Export (STL), then 3D print it. I decide I want the notches to be bigger, so I edit the sketch that contains the master rectangle and the 15 copies added by Circular Pattern tool. I increase the dimensions of the master rectangle, then exit 2D Sketch and Regenerate All. I was expecting the other 15 (copied) notches to be updated to the same size as the master (which I just edited). But they stay unchanged... I'm attaching a pic, maybe that will better explain my scenario...Atom3D - screenshot of wheel.jpg

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Can you upload your 3D Part?
I ask because I cannot see a 3D Feature pattern in your Design Explorer.

ReedMikel

Can you upload your 3D Part?
I ask because I cannot see a 3D Feature pattern in your Design Explorer.
Ahhh - I did not realize there are both 2D and 3D Pattern tools. I will read the docs about the 3D Circular Pattern... Many thanks!

ReedMikel

Hmmm, looking at the docs for Circular Pattern, I'm a bit confused as it sounds like one should use it when in 3D (Model) mode. Yet I clicked on Circular Pattern while I was in 2D Sketch mode... I'm attaching my Atom3D design file for this part... Thanks!

Attachments

• Scout - individual wheel.AD_PRT
    563.5 KB · Views: 1

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Please save -> Open and check the 3D Feature: Circular-Pattern

-One 2D Sketch with a rectangle -> Extrude Boss -> OK
- 3D CircularPattern

Circular.png

Attachments

• Scout - individual wheel-circular-feature-pattern.AD_PRT
    514 KB · Views: 2

ReedMikel

I figured it out by playing around. The fact that you said there was no item for the Circ Patt showing in the Design Explorer was the clue I needed :) So, even though I didn't see use of Circ Patt while in 2D Sketch listed in the online manual - one can do a pattern while in 2D Sketch - but it effectively is just a one time copy and paste of the figure. The copied figures are not related to the original/master at all *after* they've been created. BUT in 3D Model mode, patterns are related/linked... I'm learning :)

Last edited: