What's new

Citique -- Has Alibre lost its way?

jwknecht

Alibre Super User
Citique -- Has Alibre lost its way?

This is a commentary, more than anything else.

I have recently experienced many Alibre Server issues....as have others according to recent posts. In addition, it seems that Alibre is not putting any development into the repository or team design functions. The reason, I have heard, is that these are "seldom" used features by the users. I won't say who I heard this from, but trust that it is a very reliable source.

Pareto was a smart guy. Pareto established the 80:20 Rule through observations. His law holds for most things in life. So, it is reasonable to expect that only 20% of the users will make use of 80% of the features within Alibre Design. Conversely, 80% of the users will make use of 20% of the features. Does this mean that Alibre should ignore the 20% that make use of most of their software features? I think not. It is those 20% that are pushing the envelope, making suggestions for improvements that others will eventually make use of.

Having said my piece, I would ask Alibre to not ignore their base of users that demand more. Give us more, Alibre. Don’t give up on the original concept of using the internet. Let us use the internet, upgrade your servers, and give us improved repository and team design functions.

End of commentary.

jemmej

If that is TRULY the case, perhaps they ought to think about why the repository is seldom used. Maybe because it doesn't work quite right? Anything that locks users from using it will NOT be used in a corporate environment. I'm trying to use it, but my boss doesn't want to because if I'm not here or not connected, no one can get at it. Everyone can get to WFS at any time. THAT's why no one uses it.

That being said, I don't think Alibre is adbandoning anyone and I take everything with a grain of salt that comes from Alibre's marketing side.

My $.02

Jim

indesign

Alibre Super User

I don't use the feature and probably would not rely on a online server for more than a temp usage myself. However I have heard many praises for Alibre's use of this and do not see why it would be dropped. It may be one of those things where they will eventually update as the cost/expense permits.

I think the future will show a greater usage but many companies will not use a web repository due to the trust issue. When they have a few million invested in cad files it is hard to trust them to anyone else.

But that in itself would not exuse the neglect of a well praised feature.

warburton1

If my memory serves me, in the early days Alibre and MatrixOne entered into a partnership regarding PLM tools, its possible that the repository was born of this alliance. If so, it is also probable that there exist license agreements which prevent certain developments of the software from taking place.

I have to admit that I quite like the Repository, but then again I am a one man band and for me the centralised file storage and version control is great.

However, I would also be the first to agree that improvements need to be made, eg. search functions, printing of constituents window and file opening from constituents window to name but a few.

jemmej

I'd just like to clarify that I was talking about local repositories NOT repositories stored on Alibre's servers.

Jim

jwknecht

Alibre Super User

I did not mean that Alibre was abandoning the repository. Just, that they have not added any functionality to it in the past several releases (neglect is the word perhaps). To me, the repository and the team functionalities are areas that should be grown along with the functionalities of the parts/drawings/assys/sheetmetal.

Try working over a shared repository. It almost works good. If the Alibre server were stable and fast, it would be pretty good now. But, as it is, it is not feasible to work over shared repositories. Leased space on the Alibre server for repostories is better, but still subject to Alibre server hiccups. I think that there needs to be some priority on getting fast, stable servers, and then in increasing the functionality of the repository.

swertel

Alibre Super User

They did come out with the external application to run your own server repository on your local network. It's not exactly built into AD Pro like users want, but at least it was a step and showed that they are listening and working on it.

I think there are two things that need to be better addressed.
1) Alibre needs to completely list ALL enhancements that go into a service pack or version and not just the wiz-bang marketable ones. At least, the complete list should be made available to the users in a "what's new" section.
2) The users need to understand that there are many areas that need to be focuses on: assembly, part modeling, sketching, drafting, BOM, etc. One change in any of those environments effects how the associated environments have to handle the change. I think the users need to understand that the "focus" can't be on just one area. For example, what improvements to the repository had to take place in order for it to accomodate all the extra file property data corresponding to added configurations within a single file?

But, to continue the critique, how do all of you handle weldments? That's an area, along with basic surfacing, that I'd like to see Alibre focus on next.

warburton1

Scott,

I agree, I would also like to see improvements made to the modelling and visualization of weldments. However, procedurally, for weldments, I use the boolean function, but alas not quite as Alibre intended. I construct an assembly of the basic components (without post weld features), fully constrained as per the construction. I then use that assembly in a boolean union inside a single part to create a single component. This is then modified to add post weld features (machined surfaces, bores etc.).

Using this method enables me to make changes to the parts or weld assembly that will then get incorporated into the final part without having to make additional changes. Also it allows for parts to be displayed in a drawing as they are cut/machined.

One thing of note, when constructing the weld assy, I find that the parts must be added in order. In other words identical parts must be added as a group. If not the assembly sometimes goes a bit "wonky" after the boolean operation in the part environment.

On the Alibre doing more front, anybody else get the new offer for maintenance renewal?

warburton1

Yep, that's the deal, pay one more year of maintenance and get another one free (in addition to my current year of maintenance). Seemed like a reasonable offer, but wanted to make sure there wasn't go to be a catch to it!

jemmej

They did come out with the external application to run your own server repository on your local network. It's not exactly built into AD Pro like users want, but at least it was a step and showed that they are listening and working on it.

I keep reading about posts like this but I've personally seen nothing on this. Please give me more information. I talked with Alibre on multiple occasions about this and didn't hear anything.

Edit: Ok, found it under Alibre Design Products under the products tab. But, there is nothing there that tells me how I can get it? Kind of defeats the purpose, no?

Jim

swertel

Alibre Super User

It is custom to your own server and setups. You need to contact Alibre and I believe they have to do some customizing of the application to get it to work on your network. This is not an 'out of the box' solution.

I'm shocked that your phone calls didn't amount to anything, considering that is the only way to get this app. Who did you contact there?

jwknecht

Alibre Super User
Re:

warburton1 said:
Yep, that's the deal, pay one more year of maintenance and get another one free (in addition to my current year of maintenance). Seemed like a reasonable offer, but wanted to make sure there wasn't go to be a catch to it!

No catch. I thought it was too good to pass up.

jemmej

It was awhile ago. Probably while they were developing it. I was told it existed, then told it wasn't really available. Never heard anything after that. I've got a call into my rep at the moment. I'm sure it will all get straightened out. I believe I requested a quote for the software and never received anything.

Jim

Quote:

I keep reading about posts like this but I've personally seen nothing on this. Please give me more information. I talked with Alibre on multiple occasions about this and didn't hear anything.

Edit: Ok, found it under Alibre Design Products under the products tab. But, there is nothing there that tells me how I can get it? Kind of defeats the purpose, no?

Someone at Alibre told me that the guy who was developing this left the company and that Alibre was trying to get him to work on it as a consultant. :shock:

gregmilliken

Repository etc.

Hey All,

JW...I was following this post and wanted to say thanks for the feedback. We won't ignore our customers that demand more. Sometimes it is a challenge to balance the needs of the more demanding customers with the majority of other users but we know those on the leading edge represent the reference base that is key to our growth. You guys are like the Innovators and Early Adopters in Crossing the Chasm and represent a critical pathway to the majority of the market.

I also want to reinforce we are not backing off the Repository or online features of the product, although it is true that we feel there are many not taking advantage of them. I have always considered this like wiring the last mile, everyone with a copy of Alibre Design is wired, it just may take them a while to "turn it on" and start taking advantage of it.

We've often quoted Metcalfe's Law, or the Network Effect, in our strategy on this aspect of our product. Metcalfe's Law says that the value of a network is proportional to the square of the number of people on the network. It's one fo the reasons that leaders like eBay and Google become so dominant. One or two FAX machines or cell phones are interesting, but a billion create a new way of interacting and working.

Our strategy looks forward to a time when there are so many people using Alibre Design that the value of running on line will increase dramatically. That's the theory at least.

So back to your feature requests. We are doing a major conversion from MSJava to .NET in V10 and during this there will be a significant effort put into the server to deliver better performance, memory usage, stability and so on. We want to focus on making enhancements to the Repository and Server functionality at this point rather than building on code that will be replaced.

On the Team Design Server it is available and we have announced it. Check out the press release at http://www.alibre.com/news/pr/pr20060420.asp. We're certainly offering it and plan to enhance it so I am not sure where the rumor about us having to work with an outside consultant came from.

Jemmej...I will make sure your rep follows up with you right away.

I also will take note of the comments about thoroughly listing all the new features in a release (I thought we were doing that in our release notes, but we can probably do better). Good comments on how to handle weldments too. This thread had a lot in it.

Thanks,
Greg

jemmej

Thanks for the reply Greg. The page you linked to is showing up as invalid. I did notice the press release, but there are no links or buttons (that I could find anyway) to where I could purchase the product on-line. I'd also like to demo the software to see just how it would integrate into our system.

Jim

gregmilliken

Sorry, I inadvertently put a period on the link. It is updated and should work now. I noticed we did do a poor job of explaining how to follow-up and get more info. Basically you need to contact sales via email or phone. I am having marketing update the site now.

Jim...In the meantime, I will have your sales rep contact you to help get your questions answered and to set up an evaluation if you want.

-Greg