What's new

clearence question

wildwood58

I am modeling a part, that is basically a pencil holder (for 3 colored pencils) See attached .jpg measuring these colored pencils I am measuring, basically .25" (which agrees with the 7mm - 7.4mm is what I got googling standard pencil diameters).

I want the pencils to tightly fit into the holes, not falling out (but still want to be able to remove them) right now I have the hole sizes at .235"

( I have also attached picture of the handmade prototype)

Attachments

• DEANOMATIC 2000.71.jpg
    DEANOMATIC 2000.71.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 9
  • denomatic prototype.jpg
    denomatic prototype.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 924
  • DEANOMATIC 2000.70.jpg
    DEANOMATIC 2000.70.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 17
Wildwood -- How about inserting o-rings for the friction control? A bore gland will hold the o-ring while accommodating variations in size and keeping friction low. Buna-N or EPDM o-rings are quite inexpensive in 100-package quantities. ???

MikeHenry

Alibre Super User
Internal O-rings? Maybe 2 of them about an inch apart near the bottom of the holder.

Not much good if this is a 3D printed part, though that might make it easier to make O-ring grooves.

On edit: Looks like Lew beat me to the punch by a couple of minutes. As an amateur, I'm more than a little pleased to have come to the suggestion as he did.

KMoffett

You didn't mention what material you plan on using. That would weigh heavily on the design. Very slight undersize bores in a medium soft urethane foam might do.

Ken

wildwood58

Thanks for the suggestions, this part will be 3D printed, either by cubify ($26) cubify everlast
or Sculpteo ($38) flexible rough plastic (from polymide powder).

Actually I had thought about "ribs" running the length of the holes.

I will give it some thought and do some tweaking to the model as I don't want to make a $25 -$40 mistake

thanks !!!

any other ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated

wildwood58

You didn't mention what material you plan on using. That would weigh heavily on the design. Very slight undersize bores in a medium soft urethane foam might do

do you know where I could get this made with urethane foam?

so far I have been thinking strictly 3D printing

TylerDurden

Alibre Super User
Looking at the prototype pic... How about making it in two halves and using rubber bands to clamp it together?

Attachments

• deno1.png
    deno1.png
    4.3 KB · Views: 676

wildwood58

Looking at the prototype pic... How about making it in two halves and using rubber bands to clamp it together?

Hmmm
that could eliminate the clearance/fit issue, and might also cut down on the 3D printing cost also

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
I would make it two halves similar to that example by Tyler but with a hinge on one side and a ratcheting latch (zip tie like) on the other.
BTW I was also going to suggest o-rings but that was already suggested. lol

scotte

On the two-piece design: Add a male dovetail (or similar) to one side and a female to the other. Halves are identical. Phase them 180 degrees and slide together. No rubber bands or hinges.

Good luck,
Scott E.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
KMoffett said:
Slight taper to the hole diameter? That would also allow for variations in pencil diameters.

Ken
+1

I know you're gonna print this but a taper is how us injection moulders would do it...

jhiker

Alibre Super User
Any mileage in this kind of shape? It should flex to accommodate diameter tolerances....

Attachments

• pencil#1.jpg
    pencil#1.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 5
  • pencil#2.jpg
    pencil#2.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 3

wildwood58

Well I decided to go with tapered holes (used the loft cut command) well I went too small, I thought the material would be more flexible than it turned out to be. Then I decided to drill out holes to 9/32".........still too small then drilled again to 5/16" (pencils fit but too loose)
one careful wrap of masking tape and I got a nice snug fit.

So I'm thinking modify the model to .300" diameter holes. Attached are two pictures of where I am now (just wish I could find a more reasonable 3D printing service... this prototype was $25 plus $6 shipping at....cubify.com)

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 10
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 7

jimbees

It seems to me that you have not allowed for the fact that the pencils are consumable items and the next ones might be a slightly different size. The suggestion by Jeff, jhiker using flaps in bending inside the holes seems a much better solution. In my experience, your high friction arrangement of a parallel plain hole in polyamide and a round painted pencil will have no tolerance between too tight and too loose, particularly as polyamides swell in high humidity. Having small sections such as 4 flaps or many narrow splines means that you can build a tight interference fit and have to deform only a few square millimetres of plastic rather than the 3 square inches of contact between each pencil and the round hole holder. Much more consistent and wider tolerances.

Sebastian's suggestion of tapering the hole is similar, reducing the contact area will allow for a tighter interference fit and wider tolerances but you should check the manufacturing tolerance of the pencils first. It could be outside the limits needed for a reasonable fit in a tapered hole. Of course hexagonal pencils will allow greater tolerance in the hole diameter as they have very little contact area with the hole. A hexagonal pencil in a tapered hole could work well.

As a manufacturing engineer, I would see the O ring as a good toolroom solution, rather than an acceptable production solution with extra parts and extra assembly operations.

Jim